Chapter Thirteen

"Erm guys," said Hank. "There's something I need to show you"

They got upstairs and entered Hank's office. "This is something Ive been working on. It records every news about Paris over all three networks and PBS."

"All three? Wow." Asked Logan, playing surprised. Hank actually thought he was in awe.

"Yeah. And PBS," said Hank, proud of his work. "Look what I've found." He pressed play.

"Tomorrow, in front of the White House, the president will make his announcement," said a reporter in TV. "He'll be joined by the secretary of defence and Mr. Trask, his special advisor to combat this mutant issue."

Hank paused his recording.

"Raven doesn't realise that if she kills Trask, at an event like that, with the whole world watching--" started Charles.

"Then I came a long way for nothing," finished Logan.

"And there's more bad news," said Hank. "I found in a report that they found traces of her blood in Paris. For all we know, they already have her DNA." Charles sighed, as he passed his hand on the back of his head. It was an intense enough moment, but Clara silently chuckled. Charles always did that when he was nervous, and she believed it to be so cute. "Which is all they need--"

"To create the Sentinels on the future," Logan cut him off.

"There's a theory in quantique physics that time isn't something we can change. No matter what we do, I won't change anything," said hank. "We did all this for nothing." Clara stared at him.

"What do you mean by that?" Asked Logan.

"Maybe Raven is meant to kill Trask. Maybe we can't do anything to change that. Maybe it's who she is."

"Just because someone stumbles, looses their way," said Clara. "It doesn't mean they're lost forever."

Logan scoffed. "Charles said that once," he said. "In the future. That were you got that from."

"Well I don't believe that theory of yours, Hank," said Charles. "And I can not believe that's who she is."

Clara smiled, proud of her Charlie. Hank half smiled too. "Ready the plane," said Charles. "Were going to Washington."

***

The plane was in the air. Clara sitting besides Charles once more, as Wolverine sat across them. Charles was massaging his leg with his hand, visibly in pain.

"Are you alight?" Asked Clara, worried for her lover.

"Getting there," he smiled at her. Then their attention was turned towards Logan.

"Charles. Whatever happens today, I need you to promise me something." Charles was listening. "If you look into my mind, you'll see a lot of bad but... the good too. The X-Men," he said. Clara flinched as he used the name she herself gave to the students of their school. "Promise me you'll find us. Use your power. Bring us together." Logan said. "Guide us, lead us. Storm, Scott, Jean," he flinched, as having a bad memory. Clara perceived the pain and tried her best to hide it. "Remember those names. There's so many of us. We will need you, professor." Charles was touched.

"I'll... do my best," he promised. Clara squeezed his hand. Logan nodded.

"Your best is enough, trust me." Logan ensured. Charles sighed but nodded, not sure what else to say or do.

"I'm proud of you," said Clara in his mind. He smiled and looked at her beautiful green eyes shining with the sunlight.

"Be proud of us. You'll help me rebuild the school the same way you helped me the first time." Charles said.

***

The four of them walked through the grass, leading to a stage and a crowd, where the president would make his announcement. Clara could see Charles struggling with his wheelchair on the grass. She made a head gesture to Hank, which he understood immediately. Hank placed his hands on the wheelchair and helped him, pushing Charles around, towards the metal detector.

"Thank you, Hank." Said Charles.

The detector beeped as Charles passed through it.

As a guard verified if all Charles's metal was the chair, the other one asked for their invitations.

"Can I see your invitations, please?" The guard asked. Charle placed his hands on his temples.

"Yes you may. These three are with me," he said to the guard, who nodded.

"These are not the droids you're looking for," whispered Logan into Clara's ear, who didn't get the reference since StarWars IV wasn't out yet, the year being 1973.

"Go ahead," the guard told Charles.

"Thanks" Charles said.

"Thank you," said Clara as she passed through the guard.

Logan hesitated to go through the metal detector, and when he did, he seamed surprised that the detector hadn't beeped.

"Logan?" Asked Clara.

"Yeah, yeah, coming."

They walked to their seats, Charles parked his chair besides Clara's. Charles placed his hand on his temple, searching everyone's mind around. He was looking for Raven, his sister. After a few moments, he still hadn't found her.

"Haven't found her yet, but she has to be here," said Charles.

"Keep looking," said Clara.

Suddenly, the president came on the stage. Everyone clapped their hands and whooed.

"My fellow Americans. Today, we face the greatest threat in our history; Mutants. We have prepared for this threat," said the President Johnson. Meanwhile, Charles still looked for Raven, reading everyone's minds. "Behold, the world will never be the same again!"

A curtain was pulled and several robots appeared. Everyone started clapping, soldiers saluted the president and his sentinels. Clara flinched as the felt hatred coming from behind her. She turned around to see Logan's expressionless face, staring at the Sentinels.

"Don't think about it," said Clara inside his mind. Logan nodded. "We'll catch them. We'll stop it. I promise you this, my friend." Logan addressed her a thankful smile.

Clara looked around, every soldier standing both on the stage and between the crowd applauding. But one. Raven.

Charles found her too. She was disguising herself as a bodyguard, and seamed to be pulling a gun out of her interior pocket.

"Raven?" Said Charles. She froze. Charles froze her mind. "I have her," Charles said to Clara, Hank and Logan.

"Let me go, Charles," said Raven.

"There see?" Charles pointed at a man. "Secret service man, corner of the stage."

"Got it," Logan said. He and Hank walked towards her.

Suddenly, Clara felt something strange. She looked at the sentinels; they were turning on. Clara knew what the sentinels did. They killed mutants, and she was not ready to die there and give up on her mission.