Chapter Sixteen

Some months later

Clara was sitting down on her swing, reading a book. Les Misérables, it was called. She could hear children laughing and playing outside, which made her take her eyes off her book and smile. She was proud of Charles. He had been able to get students to come to his school. They weren't very numerous, not yet anyways, but she was happy with what they already had. She had the feeling that soon enough she wouldn't be able to walk around without hearing children screaming and seeing them running everywhere.

Just when she was about to go back to her reading, she noticed Charles on his wheelchair, rolling towards her. He smiled and his eyes were shining against the sunlight. Clara was compelled to look at them, charming her unintentionally. She was truly in love with that man.

"Hello, Love," said Charles, approaching her. She smiled. "What are you reading, there?" He asked her.

"Uh, les Mis," she answered, closing her book and placing it on her lap. "What are you doing here, Charlie? Don't you have a class to teach?" Charles chuckled at the comment.

"It's Sunday, Love," Charles answered. Clara seamed to just realize the day of the week. Charles smiled. "Anyway, I'm here for something more important than these classes."

"What could possibly be more important than the classes?" Clara asked, a smirk placing itself on her lips. "I thought you'd said that these kids are the most important thing ever. That they were the future of our species..." She said, copying Charles gestures, making fun of him. Charles laughed smoothly.

"Well, yes. They are. But... There's something even more important than that. Maybe not for them, but for me," Charles explained. Clara was slightly confused, but she promised to herself that she wasn't going to look into Charle's mind to find the answers to her questions. She just waited. "That thing being you," he said as he stood up from his chair.

Yes. You heard right. He stood up. From his chair. Clara quickly stood up also, placing her book on the swing. She was ready to catch Charles if he was to fall but, to her surprise, he didn't.

"What--" she trailed off, completely astonished.

"The medication for my legs. Hank helped me with a small dose whose duration is of about an hour," Charles explained. Clara didn't know how I react. Why would he take a drug to be able I stand for only sixty minutes?

"Why did you do that? Remember the struggle it was to take you away from those?" She exclaimed. Charles only smiled.

"But as I said, I have something to do," Charles said, putting his right hand inside his pocket, bringing out a small blue velvet box.

Clara seamed to finally be realizing what was actually going on. He placed both hands over her mouth, who was open in surprise and joy.

"Without the drug I wouldn't be able to do this," Charles put one knee on the ground and opened the small box. Inside, was a white white golden ring, with a green gem on. The gem was exactly the same colour of her eyes. Clara couldn't feel more loved. She knew Charles had the money to buy a way bigger ring that that, but she felt so touched thy he remembered that she didn't like big jewelry. "Clara, when I look into your eyes, I see our reflection, living our future together. You are the best, most beautiful and wonderful person I have ever met, and I will always love you. You help me get through the most difficult nights, and you are always there to laugh with me during my most joyful days." Clara was already crying. She was already ready to say yes. "Now, Clara Katarina Williams, I would love to spend the rest of my life at your side, would you?"

And her reaction was one of the strangest. She dropped to the floor, getting on the same level as Charles. She nodded her head as strongly as she could, whilest whispering: "yes. yes."

They both got up and kissed passionately. They heard applauses and cheers from the students and teachers, all making a circle around them.

That was the happiest day of her life.

Yet, not for long.