two: then there were ten

«Kalani»

We woke up the next morning to a bell ringing.

"Wake up, sunshines!!"

We were in a long room lined with ten beds, with a dresser/vanity placed in front of each bed. My vanity sparkled with my name painted across the top.

"Okay, everyone! Today's challenge is a swim challenge! Swim to the death." It saddened me to know that that wasn't just a metaphor.

I walked up to my vanity to see a swimsuit waiting for me.

We each began to change then grabbed the towels with our names on them. I will win. For Maddie.

He led us to an arena.

"Stand behind the lines." He ordered.

We obeyed, and the floor opened up to reveal a large swimming pool. We all gasped in awe.

"If you cheat, you get eliminated. Stay in your lane or else you get eliminated. Basically, if you don't compete, you get eliminated. Whoever comes in last... gets eliminated." He smiled his cocky smile.

I felt nauseous. I wasn't ready for this.

"Swimmers! On your marks! Get set! Go!"

And we were off, swimming, pushing ourselves to do our best. I looked and saw that Chloe was ahead of me and no one else. It's not time to lack, Kalani. Do it for Maddie. Do. It. For. Maddie. My adrenaline raced and I felt my pace quicken.

I pushed myself off the wall and started heading back towards the start. I was on fire. Which is ironic, considering I'm in water.

I touched the wall and got first place. I could barely contain my happiness. Sophia came in and Brooke was right behind her... in last place.

"BROOKE!" Paige screamed.

Guards helped her out of the water and took her away, kicking and screaming.

"Help me! Please!"

"Brooke!" Paige began to sob, trying to run after her but getting stopped by more guards.

A minute later, as we were drying off, we heard a somewhat distant gunshot, which set Paige off.

"No! Brooke!" She started sobbing harder. "You monster! How could you do this to my sister?!" She screamed into the air, hoping that our abductor would hear.

"Would you like to join her, Paige?" He "sweetly" asked.

Paige stopped talking but kept crying. Nia was trying to help her calm down.

"Well, my puppets, we've completed the first challenge." He cackled over the loudspeaker. "And one got eliminated." I could practically hear his idiotic grin.

Once we got back into our bedroom, the screen at the end of each of our beds lit up, including the empty bed that once contained Brooke, with a picture of Brooke's face and next to it read...

"Rest in Peace, Brooke Hyland."

Which absolutely sickened me. Paige's screams had died down, but her sobs didn't. Poor Paige... I can't even imagine how it feels.

"Good night, puppets. I'll see you in the next challenge tomorrow. Lights out." The lights flickered off.

I sat in the darkness and began to cry. I'm going to win. For everyone I love. For my family, for Maddie.

I, Kalani Hilliker, will win if it is the last thing I'll do.