six: then there were six

«Kalani»

The morning bell rang.

"And then there were six."

We ate our breakfast and then got up to see volleyball shorts, a Nike top, and knee pads. I'm guessing we're playing volleyball today, which I'm excited about because I've been playing for years.

We walked into the arena to see a volleyball court set up.

"Well, puppets, I'm guessing you might have a clue about what we're doing today. We're playing volleyball. We're going to play a three against three game and the winners will be safe. Then, the three that lost will go against each other to see who will be eliminated. I'll be picking the two team captains."

I squirmed, hoping he'd pick me as a team captain. I know who I'd want on my team.

"Knowing that she's a volleyball player... I pick Kalani as a team captain."

I grin.

"No one else here plays volleyball... Hm... I also pick Mackenzie as a team captain."

Mackenzie slightly smiles.

"Kalani, take your first pick."

"Nia." I say.

Nia comes over and hugs me.

"Kenzie, take a pick."

"Brynn."

Brynn runs over to Mackenzie.

"Kalani, next pick."

"Kendall."

Kendall runs and hugs me and Nia, which left Chloe with Mackenzie's team.

"Do you guys have at least some experience in volleyball?"

"Yeah, I've taken a few classes." Kendall says.

"Same." Nia comments.

I smile. I was happy with my team.

"Okay. Take your side of the net."

Kenzie went on one side, I went on the other.

"Since Kalani got to pick first, I'll let Kenzie serve."

Kenzie does a underhand serve. It sails over the net, and I bump it up, passing it to Nia, who was on my right. Nia sets it back to me and I spike it over the net, making the other team unable to get it.

"Whoo, Kalani!" Kendall and Nia cheer and smile at me.

I served a somewhat sloppy overhand serve, but I gave it enough power to fly over the net. Brynn sets it in the air and Chloe spikes it over.

I think fast and bump up the ball that Chloe spiked and Kendall set it to Nia, who tripped and missed the spike.

"It's okay, Nia. Nice job." Kendall and I assured her.

We kept playing. It was one to one at the moment.

"Game point for Mackenzie's team." The abductor says. It was now Kenzie's team with four points and my team with three points.

Chloe serves an overhand serve and I bump it towards Kendall, who sets it to Nia, who spikes it over the net. Chloe went to bump it and tripped. To our surprise, she still hits it over, and it went right over our heads and hit the floor.

"It's still in!" Brynn shrieked happily.

"Kenzie's team wins! Now, I want Kalani against Kendall. Just bump it back and forth and see who drops it first."

We were passing it back and forth for what seemed like hours and I bumped it too short. It landed on my side.

"Kendall wins against Kalani."

"Now, I want Nia against Kalani."

We passed it back and forth and Nia dropped it.

"Okay, now I want Kendall and Nia against each other."

They passed it back and forth. Nia missed the ball by an inch and it drops to the floor. Her eyes fill with tears.

"Nia! No!" I scream. I begin to cry too. "No..." I whimper. Kendall comes and wraps me in a hug, trying not to cry.

She's taken off by the guards, not fighting them at all because she knows that it's no use.

We hear the gunshot and Kendall begins to cry with me.

-

The stupid screen flashes.

"Rest in Peace, Nia Frazier."

"Lights out."

I laid in bed and cried myself to sleep.