eight: then there were four

«Kalani»

The morning bell rang.

"And then there were four."

We got up to see regular outfits.

"Oh, good. Another 'traditional' activity." Brynn said, rolling her eyes.

"Good morning, puppets! Welcome! Today involves MANY places. This place is much bigger than you think."

We all sighed, most likely wondering what the challenge was today.

"Today, you four will be led on separate scavenger hunts. There is one half of a locket linked to one scavenger hunt and the other half is the 'prize' of the other scavenger hunt. You will return both halves of the locket to me. You will be put into pairs."

I didn't know who I wanted as a partner. Maybe Chloe for speed... Maybe Kendall for the ability to think deeper and help solve the clues.

"I will assign you partners."

I prayed I got someone who has speed and could decipher the clues.

"I want Chloe and Kendall to be a pair and Kalani and Brynn to be a pair."

"Here are your first two slips of paper." One of the guards hands me and Brynn the first slip of paper and the other guard hands Chloe and Kendall the other slip.

"Ready... Set... GO!"

I quickly opened the paper. "Where the book lovers gather and the others study."

"That's easy. A library." Brynn scoffed. "Does he seriously think we're that stupid?"

We quickly made our way to the library to see a guard waiting for us by a table, handing us the next clue.

"Mice are moved and words are typed."

"Mice? As in the animal?" Brynn asked.

"Words are... typed? So, on a computer? A computer lab?"

"Oh my gosh, Kalani! He's not talking about mice the animal, he's talking about computer mice! Good job, Kalani!"

We quickly head towards the sign and enter the computer lab.

We find the next clue taped to one of the mice.

"You're almost there, puppets. Some like it iced, some like it steaming. It wakes up when you want to be dreaming."

"Is this meant to be easy? It's obviously coffee." I said, rolling my eyes.

We went to the "café" and saw the locket taped onto the espresso machine.

"Yes!" Brynn squealed.

"We have to get this back before Chloe and Kendall."

We sprinted towards the main arena.

"Sir! We have your half of the locket!"

"Place it on the pedestal."

We neatly place it on the pedestal.

"We have the half!" Kendall and Chloe frantically scramble into the arena. Their hearts dropped seeing us there first.

"We have our losers."

Chloe and Kendall's eyes filled with tears.

"Now... rock, paper, scissors."

"W-what?" Kendall quivered.

"I said, play rock, paper, scissors!"

"O-okay..."

"R-rock, paper, scissors..."

Chloe does rock, Kendall does scissors.

"N-no! No, please!" She sets out a piercing shriek in the arena.

They took her away and we heard a gunshot.

Oh, good. Another childhood game ruined for me by becoming deadly.

-

The same stupid screen flashed.

"Rest in Peace, Kendall Vertes."

"Lights out, puppets."