four: then there were eight

«Kalani»

The bell rang.

"And then there were eight. Good morning, puppets!" His obnoxious voice flooded the room.

Our breakfast waited for us and we chowed down our cereal.

"Alright! It's time for today's surprise challenge! Put on your outfits and get ready to use your listening skills!"

Our outfits looked very casual today. A plain black top and ripped black jeans. I wonder what we're doing today.

We headed out to the arena where a huge screen was lit up with the face of our abductor on it.

"Welcome, puppets! Today we're doing something fun."

Is he going to murder us in front of our families? Because it seems like that's his idea of fun.

"We're playing Simon Says!"

Oh, thank goodness. I'm just happy he can't read my mind or else who knows? I may have just given him a sickening and twisted idea.

"Line up, everyone!" He says. "Space yourselves out."

Since the arena was huge, we made big gaps between each person. Nia was on my left and Sophia was on my right.

"Let's begin. I assume everyone knows how to play?"

We all nod.

"Okay, then. Simon says, 'Put your hands on your head.'" We all put our hands on our head.

"Put one foot up."

No one changes position.

"Simon says, 'touch your toes.'"

We all reach down and touch our toes.

"Simon says, 'Put your left hand on your right shoulder.'"

We all put our left hand on our right shoulder.

"Bark like a dog."

We only hear one woof. Sophia.

"No." She realizes. "No! Please!" She breaks down and falls to the floor, crying.

"Sophia!" Kendall yells after her. "YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!" Kendall shrieks at the guards.

The guards push Kendall to the floor as she whimpers away and runs into my arms. I held Kendall tightly because I knew what we were all going to hear next. The gunshot.

Sure enough, it goes off three seconds later. Kendall starts uncontrollably shaking, screaming, and crying. She stops every once in a while to take a big breath. I try to comfort her as much as possible.

"Y-YOU'RE A MONSTER!" Kendall screams into the air. "S-She didn't deserve this..."

We head back into our room and get ready to sleep.

None of us actually sleep well here, but we don't complain. We knew no one cared about our opinions here. We knew none of us were going to leave. Except the winner.

I got into bed as I heard the nightly "Lights out." come from the speaker, then waited for the light to flicker off. And I dozed off.

"Kalani?"

"Maddie? What are you doing here? Get out of here! It's dangerous."

"I will risk my life for you, best friend."

"No, Maddie, I'm serious."

All of a sudden, the lights flash on and the alarm starts blaring.

"Maddie! No!" My abductor shot her.

I woke up in a sweat, heavily breathing.

"I miss you, Maddie." I whispered to myself.

Separated ⇔ kbh & mnz | ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें