Not alone

Jesse POV:

I slowly walked through the doors of the cafeteria. On instinct, my feet started to move towards James' table before I remembered we weren't friends. I stood around for a few minutes, wondering where to go before I walked towards the ocelots' table. I didn't know what I was expecting them to do, but I felt a wave of relief come over me when they greeted me with friendly smiles. "Hey, Jesse. How're you holding up after yesterday?" Maya asked. I shrugged. "To be honest, pretty badly," I said. She and gill gave me apologetic looks as I sat down. "Anyways, I'm going to go get food. Anyone want to come?" Aiden and Gill immediately said yes. "I'm gonna stay back. Can one of you guys get me something?" Lukas asked. "Me too," I said. They all nodded before getting in line for food.

"Hey, Jesse?" Lukas asked once they left. "Yeah?" I asked. "Do you.. Um... do you still like James?" he asked. I gave him a weird look. "No way! He's a jerk and I hate him!" I said, trying not to cry as the words came out. "So... why do you care that he ditched you?" he asked. I thought for a moment. "I... I don't know," I said. "Jesse, you deserve way better than him," he said. I nodded. "Yeah. I know. But I just... can't believe I was so stupid for two years! Two years, Lukas! If I can't even trust my closest friends, then who do I have left to trust?" I asked. "Yourself," he smirked. I giggled.

"You know, that was actually really poetic," I said. Lukas blushed. "Thanks. I actually want to become a writer. I should actually write that down. I could probably use it," he said, pulling out a little pocket notebook and a pen. "What's that?" I asked. He chuckled. "Oh, it's just a little notepad. I write down my ideas and stuff in here," he said. I nodded. I don't know what came over me next, but I spoke before I could think about it. "I need to show you something," I said. He perked up and stopped writing in his notepad. Too late to turn back now. I pulled out my journal and showed it to him. I stayed silent as he slowly opened to the first entry and started reading.

"Wow, Jesse,this is really good," he said as I blushed. "Thanks," I said. He grinned. "I thought I was the only one who knew about Zach Bordin," he said. I stared at him in shock. "You know who he is?" I asked. He chuckled. "Yeah. I read a few of his books a while back. He's written some really great stories. They've got a lot of meaning to them," he said. I nodded in agreement. I had almost forgotten about him also being an author. "Yeah. I've only read one of them, but it was a beautiful story," I said. He cocked his head. "Which one?" he asked.

"Paper Cranes. It's the one about that girl who had that room with a bunch of paper cranes hanging from the ceiling and how she made one every time something bad happened to remind her to let it go. She said she let her worries fly free like a bird, hence the paper crane," I said. He nodded. "Yeah. I really liked that one. It's my second favorite," he said. I beamed at him. "What's your first favorite?" I asked. "Beautiful Writings. It's all about this girl who had her heart broken but fell in love with someone else. It's your usual cliche love story, but what I like about it is that she wants to be a writer when she grows up and so she uses her experience as inspiration for her writing and in the end, she gets it published," he said. I nodded. "I haven't read that one yet. What's the meaning behind it?" I asked. I couldn't really figure out any deep meaning to do with it. "It's the fact that first loves are shit," he said. "What?" I asked. He nodded. "Screw first loves. Let's hear it for second loves. The ones that taught you that there's still hope," he said, grinning. I giggled. "You're right," I said. He chuckled and ran a hand through his hair.

"You know, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my thoughts," he said. I smiled. Yeah. I'm glad we're friends now," I said as Maya, Gill and Aiden walked back to our table, food in hand.

I hope you guys like it :)