100 reasons why I love you

Jesse POV:

Dear Journal,

    Screw first loves. Let's hear it for the second loves! The ones that taught us to love again. The ones that taught us that we can recover. The ones that taught us that there's still hope.

I couldn't help but shake what Lukas said. He was right. The book did have a really good message, and it was a nice story. I smiled as I recalled how much I connected with the character. If she found love again, then maybe I can too. Right now, though, I didn't have time to think about it.

I was rushing down the school hallway, book and journal in hand. I was hoping to give Lukas his book back before first period, but in my haste, I didn't realise someone else coming the other way. I yelped as I rammed right into Olivia and Petra, dropping my books to the ground. They looked down at me sprawled on the ground before laughing. Olivia stopped laughing long enough to notice my journal lying on the ground. "Oh my god, is that the journal James was talking about?" she said, picking it up.

"Oh my god it is!" Petra exclaimed, laughing. "Hey! Give that back!" I said, reaching for it. Petra swiped it from Olivia and held it high above her head, knowing she was much taller than me. "Excuse me everybody!" Petra shouted, getting everyone's attention. "Petra, stop!" I said, knowing what she was about to do. She ignored my pleas as she continued talking. "I'd like to make an announcement! Jesse here has given us this fine opportunity to share some of her secrets with us," she said. I few people in the crowd snickered, but most just stayed silent to allow Petra to talk. She cleared her throat just to make a statement before she opened to the first page.

"Dear Journal,

    I don't really know what to say right now. I guess I should start with the fact that I'm different. And I don't mean in a weird way. But at the same time... no one is really quite like me. I think differently than other people. I don't follow the popular opinion. I don't take part in any of the popular trends, and instead of playing sports and participating in after-school activities, I prefer to sit at home and read a good book or listen to the kind of music most people have never even heard of.

    No one thinks different is a good thing. Not even the people who could be labeled as such. That's why I always worry when people ask to be friends or tell me they like me. Because I doubt that they'd actually want to be friends with a someone like me. And I know I shouldn't overthink it too much, but I do. Because you never really know someone's true intentions with you. You just kind of assume they're telling the truth. I've made that mistake too many times.

    And you can trust someone as much as you like, get to know them as much as you can, and love them with every ounce of love you have, but... that never actually makes them a good person. It just makes you a naive one. I don't want to be labeled as such eith-" before she could finish, someone burst through the crowd of people. Lukas.

    "Hey, Petra, why don't you shut up!" I looked to see Aiden following behind him. "And why would I do that?" Petra laughed. "Because you know what's good for you," Aiden threatened. Petra just smirked at me. "You only say that because you're in love with that loser," Petra taunted Lukas. I saw his eyes widen as a blush appeared on his cheeks. "What? N-no I'm not!" he said quickly. I looked back to Petra before Olivia spoke up. "Whatever. Have fun hanging out with a loser," she said. Lukas glared at her. "She's not a loser," he said. "Name one good thing about her," Petra said. Lukas hesitated for a minute, trying to think. "He! I knew it! He can't even-"

    "She's beautiful," he said, cutting her off. "Petra laughed. "Suuuure," she said sarcastically. I felt tears prick at my eyes. "I wasn't done yet," Lukas said, holding up a hand. "She's beautiful. But the thing I like about her is that that's nothing compared to everything else about her. Because she's the smartest person I know. And she's a good friend. In fact, an amazing friend. The kind of friend who you can tell your darkest secrets to and know they'll be safe, even years later. She's the kind of friend who's there when no one else is. She''s the kind of friend who trusts too easily and and will no doubt get her heart broken, but even then won't be mad because she knows there's so much more to life. She's the kind of friend who takes you on adventures and laughs at your jokes and is so light-hearted yet so deep and thoughtful. I don't even know how such a small body can hold such a big heart. And she has this... old, worn out notebook," he said, snatching the book from Petra before continuing.

    "That she writes all the beautiful things she never says in. Because she has the most beautiful mind and thinks of so many beautiful ideas and brilliant, poetic thoughts. And I look at her and I don't know how someone could NOT love her because even her smile can brighten someone's day. She's so nice and caring and would never even think of hurting someone. And everything about her is just... amazing. The way she gets nervous when you compliment her, the way she always has something good to say about someone else, the way she thinks so differently from everyone else... you know, maybe you're right," he said, turning to Petra.

    "Maybe... maybe I am in love with her. But... how can anyone not be? I mean, she's the greatest person I know," he said, before turning and glaring at Petra. "And she's the kind of friend that you don't give up," he said, clenching his fists. Petra smirked at him. "Awwww, Lukas is in love with the loser! If she's so great, why don't you go ahead and tell everyone how much you love her," she said. Everyone looked at Lukas.

Lukas POV:

    Everyone turned to look at me and I felt a certain uneasiness come over me. Nonetheless, I ignored it. Petra smirked at me, knowing I wouldn't do it. I glared at her before turning around. I started to walk away, making them think I was gonna leave. In truth, I just wanted to see the expression on Petra and Olivia's faces once I did this. Once I was halfway through the crowd, I stopped and turned around. Before anyone could even process what was going on, I cupped my hands over my mouth and yelled.

    "ATTENTION EVERYONE! I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT! I, LUKAS GRAHAM PORTER, AM IN LOVE WITH JESSE ELIZABETH REED. I MEANT EVERY WORD OF WHAT I JUST SAID BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN IN LOVE WITH JESSE SINCE I WAS LITTLE, AND ANYONE WHO TELLS ME SHE'S NOT WORTH BEING IN LOVE WITH CAN KEEP IT TO THEMSELVES BECAUSE I DON'T TALK TO DUMBASSES. THANK YOU FOR LISTENING," I said, really obnoxiously. I smirked as Petra stared at me in surprise. I walked back over to Jesse.

    "Jesse... I'm sorry for not telling you earlier, I-" Just then, I saw James burst through the crowd. "What the hell, man? Were you seriously crushing on Jesse when I was dating her?" I gave him a look that said 'seriously?' "Um... actually, yeah, I was. I mean, I don't get why you're so offended. I thought you said you don't even like her," I said. He glared at me. "Whatever. She'll never like you back anyways," he said. I opened my mouth to give a comeback before Gill spoke up. I'd forgotten he was here. He was usually pretty quiet. "Petra, can you kindly tell your boyfriend he's a dumbass and that Lukas doesn't want to talk to him?" Petra and James both glared at Gill. "He's not my boyfriend," she said.   

Before any of us could say anything, Jesse piped up. She lightly hugged one of my arms and smirked at Petra. "Wow, Petra. You tell me I'm a friendless loser who no one likes but you can't even get someone to love you. Such a shame," she mocked. I grinned at hearing that. Does she really like me back? Or is she just playing along. "Well, if you like him that much, why don't you kiss him?" she taunted, knowing it would make Jesse uncomfortable. I leaned down to whisper in her ear. "I know you don't want to. You don't have to," I said. She shook her head.

"It's fine," she said. We leaned in and are lips lightly brushed against each other. It wasn't some sort of make out session in front of everyone. It was just a quick peck. But it was the greatest kiss I'd ever had. I smiled ear to ear as our lips parted. Everyone was still looking, but I didn't care. Before I said anything, she seemed to suddenly remember something. "Oh! I almost forgot. Here's your book," she said, holding out the book I'd given her. I slowly took it from her hands. "Thanks," I said, grinning. "And um... I think this is yours," I said, holding out her journal. She was beaming as she took it. "Thanks," she said. "So um... did you like the book?" I asked. She grinned. "You know, in a way, I kinda feel like I'm reliving it." I chuckled as I kissed her on the forehead, the crowd still gawking at us. "I love you," I said. She giggled. "I love you too. And I mean every word of that," she giggled.

Well, I hope you guys liked it :) I hope you have as much fun reading it as I did writing it :)