01 | So Mean

17 Years Later

_

"Natalie! For God's sake, get out here!" Dean called as he leaned against the doorframe, the keys to his beloved impala hanging from his pointer finger.

"Two seconds!" The teenager's voice rang back, and Dean groaned.

"You've had two hours, how much longer could you possibly need?"

"It has not been two hours, old man!"

Dean sighed, rubbing a hand across his forehead. "Keep giving me gray hairs and I will be an old man."

Sam chuckled at his older brother as he walked into the room, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Oh, come on, Dean. This is her last first day of high school, let her be excited."

"I don't mind her being excited, Sammy, what I mind is when she takes forever and a half to pile on a bunch of makeup that she doesn't need." Dean said, throwing a hand into the air.

"Actually, my dear father, you have grown out of the zit face. I haven't." Natalie said as she finally stepped out of the bathroom, her blonde locks whisking behind her as she threw her arms around her father's neck from behind and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Hey, I had zits in high school too. You never saw me piling on makeup." Dean said, arching an eyebrow.

"Oh, I don't know, Dean. I might've seen it once or twice." Sam joked, making Natalie snort out a laugh and earning a glare from his big brother.

"Get in the freaking car." Dean grumbled, shaking his head as he made his way out the front door.

Sam rolled his eyes and smiled over at his niece as she scooped up her messenger bag and slung it over her shoulder. "You excited?"

"Excited, anxious, kind of sad."

"What? Why sad?"

"It's my last year of high school," Natalie shrugged. "I guess I'm just kind of sad that it's already coming to an end, you know?"

Sam smiled softly. "How do you think your dad and I feel?" he joked, slinging an arm around the younger's shoulders. "I still remember when you were four and were begging me to play Go Fish with you."

Natalie grinned up at her uncle. "And I kicked your ass every time."

Sam rolled his hazel eyes and ruffled his niece's hair, making her laugh and swat at his hands. "Come on. Let's go."