05 | Meh

Lebanon, Kansas

Lebanon, Kansas

2016

Senior Year: Day One
_

"Excuse me?"

Natalie nearly jumped a foot in the air when she heard the voice, practically ripping her locker door off the hinges as she gripped it in an attempt to keep herself from reflexively punching the owner of the voice in the face. And when she looked up and saw that it was Oliver, she was really glad she didn't.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, did I startle you? I didn't mean to." Oliver said, fiddling with his backpack strap.

"Oh, it's okay. Not your fault. I'm a little jumpy." Natalie chuckled, shutting her locker and leaning against it. "Oliver, right?"

"Yeah, that's me." Oliver smiled bashfully, rubbing the back of his neck. "I uh, I wanted to return this to you." he said, pulling her red ink pen out of his pocket and handing it out to her.

"Oh, no, keep it. I mean, unless you're planning on going the rest of the day without something to write with, I'm assuming you're going to need it."

"Are you sure? I don't want to put you out."

Natalie scoffed. "Oh, please. I have plenty of pens. Don't worry about it." she waved a hand in dismissal.

"Thank you." Oliver smiled. "I never got your name?"

"Oh, Winchester. Natalie Winchester." she nodded.

The boy grinned. "Did you just quote James Bond?"

"Maybe." Natalie laughed gently. "I'm a big fan I guess."

"So am I. My brother and I used to watch it religiously."

"Hey, me too. Except I always watch it with my Dad." she shrugged.

"No siblings?"

"Nope. But I have a few friends who I'd like to qualify as siblings." she smiled, her mind going to Matthew. "Are you and your brother close?"

Oliver's smile seemed to falter slightly. "We were. He was killed in a car accident last year."

Natalie's mouth fell open. "Oh my God. I-I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. It's alright. I mean, it's not, but I've had time." Oliver nodded. "That's kind of why my father and I moved to America. He was desperate for a change in scenery."

"I get that." Natalie nodded, fiddling with her father's amulet that hung around her neck. "What part of England are you from?" she asked, hoping to steer the conversation in a different direction.

"Chiswick, London."

"Wow, that's cool. I've always wanted to go to Europe. It's funny, my family and I road trip all the time across the US but we've never actually been out of the country."