10 | No Doubt

Lawrence, Kansas

Lawrence, Kansas

2005

4 days after Jessica Moore died

_

Sam looked down at Natalie as she curled up into his side, smiling when she fisted her little hand into his shirt as she slept. He had pulled out her little joke book and had been telling her some puns until she eventually drifted off to sleep.

Dean poked his head in, smiling gently at the sight in front of him. "You guys okay?"

"Yeah, we're good." Sam said, brushing a hand through Natalie's blonde locks. "She's still warm, but she finally fell asleep."

"Good." Dean murmured.

"Where's Bobby?"

"He went out on a grocery run. Hey, I was thinking, he mentioned this dude who went missing a couple days ago while on a camping trip and I was thinking you and I could go check it out."

"What? Dean, Natalie's sick, we can't go anywhere now."

"I know that, smart one. I meant tomorrow."

Sam sighed. "You really want to go hunting?"

Dean shrugged. "Why not?"

"Gee, I don't know. Maybe because the whole reason you came to get me at school is because Dad has gone AWOL, and yet we haven't even started looking for him."

"I get that, Sammy, but-" Dean's mouth shut instantly when Natalie stirred in her sleep, but didn't wake. He huffed out a soft breath of relief and looked up at his younger brother. "Can we talk in the living room please?"

Sam nodded, gently prying himself away from the little girl and tucking the covers tight around her, pressing a kiss to her head before walking out to follow his brother.

"Okay, listen," Dean began. "I don't see why we can't hit a few jobs while we're looking for him. I mean, he left us coordinates, Sammy, maybe that's his way of telling us he's alright."

"Or that he needs help." Sam said, folding his arms over his chest. "I just feel like we should prioritize Dad before hunting, Dean. I would think you would want to do that too."

"Alright, alright, look," Dean said. "How about this; we follow the coordinates and see where it takes us, and if we find him, we help him with the hunt for the demon. And if we don't, we focus on hunting and see what else we find that might take us to him.

"You think he's trying to find the thing that killed mom? By himself?" Sam questioned.

"What else would he be doing?" Dean asked, raising his eyebrows.

Sam nodded. "Okay, you're right."

"So we're following the coordinates?"

"We're following the coordinates."