20 | Very Different

Lawrence, Kansas

Lawrence, Kansas

2005

One week after Jessica Moore died
_

It wasn't until later in the evening that it had started to pour rain. Natalie loved the rain. Hell, if she wasn't still getting over her strep throat, she would most likely be suited up in her purple raincoat and rain boots and would be outside jumping in puddles by now.

Natalie did not, however, like thunderstorms.

She wasn't used to loud noises such as thunder. She had never even had so much as someone raise their voice at her. Even when she got into trouble, which wasn't often, no one in her family ever had to shout at her. Not Bobby, not Dean, not anyone. So when the thunder began to roar and boom at them from outside, to say Natalie was not happy was an understatement.

Bobby had busied himself in his study with calling some of his contacts in an attempt to track down John while Natalie had curled herself under her comforter in her bedroom with her Moose. She wouldn't tell Sam of course, since Moose was technically his now, but that didn't mean she wouldn't still cuddle him.

"Geez," Sam said from where he was perched on the window sill of Bobby's living room as he watched the rain pour down, his eyebrows raised slightly. "It's hammering out there."

"No kidding." Dean murmured from the sofa, a newspaper spread in his hands as he circled some stories that could be potential hunts. A large clap of thunder sounded and suddenly the two Winchesters were plunged into the darkness when the lights went out.

"Daddy!"

Dean's head shot up when he heard his daughter's voice and before he even had time to blink, Natalie was racing into the room and attaching herself to his leg as little whimpers escaped her lips.

"Hey, hey, baby girl, it's okay," Dean said softly, setting his paper down and lifting his daughter into his lap. "It's okay, sweet girl. You're alright."

Natalie whimpered, fisting his shirt into her little hands and burying her head into the crook of his neck. "I don't like the thunder.."

"I know you don't." Dean murmured, rocking her gently as Sam exited the room to go grab some candles. "I know. But hey, the thunder can't hurt you."

"I don't care." Natalie sniffled, rubbing at her eyes with her tiny hand. "It's too loud and too scary. It made Uncle Bobby's house all dark, too."

"I know. I'm sorry." Dean said softly, pressing a kiss to her temple. He bit his lip for a moment before he parted his lips to speak again. "You know who else hated thunder?" he asked softly, raising his eyebrows down at the little girl when she looked up at him. "Your mom."

Natalie's blue eyes widened a fraction. Dean almost never talked about Denise; it was always too painful for him. The only times he ever even said her name was on her birthday or when Natalie begged him to go visit her grave, which normally took an act of congress to convince him to do. But it was never voluntary.

"Really?" the little blonde girl asked quietly, resting her head on her father's shoulder as she fiddled with the amulet he wore around his neck.

"Oh yeah. She hated thunderstorms. She always jumped about ten feet out of her skin whenever she heard thunder." Dean chuckled softly as he continued to rock the little girl gently from side to side. "When you were a baby, whenever it would storm she would spend the night in your room with you. I remember the first time I found her in there. She had been in the living room reading when I went to sleep and then I woke up in the middle of the night and she still wasn't there. I walked into your room to check on you and she was there, curled up in the arm chair with you in her lap, fast asleep." he smiled fondly as he recalled the memory. He looked down at the little girl in his arms, tipping his head. "You were her happy place, kid." he said softly, gently booping her nose with his pointer finger and making her giggle.

"Do you think I look like her?" Natalie asked softly as she gazed up at her father, her voice hardly even above a whisper.

"Ah, man, are you kidding?" Dean whispered, smoothing his hand gently over her blonde hair. "You're the spitting image of her. You have her eyes, her nose, her hair.." he said softly, chuckling gently. "Pretty sure the only thing you got from me is your personality and your pie addiction."

Natalie giggled, shaking her head. "We both have freckles," she said, gently placing her finger on the bridge of his nose where some of his freckles were.

Dean smiled, crinkling his nose and nodding. "I guess we do, huh?" he murmured, tilting his head slightly to kiss her little hand.

"Daddy?" Natalie said softly, blinking up at the man. "Do you think Mommy would be proud of me?"

Dean's green eyes stung slightly at the question and he let out a soft, trembling breath as he pulled his daughter up gently into a hug. "Oh, bug," he said softly, gently cupping the back of her head as he hooked his chin onto her shoulder. "You have no idea."

Natalie's arms wound around her father's neck and she tucked her head into the crook of his neck, closing her eyes as she took in his familiar scent of leather and motor oil and home.

Meanwhile, Sam had been standing in the doorway of the kitchen, listening to their conversation with sad hazel eyes. It wasn't until he saw the tears in his big brother's eyes that he realized Jessica and Denise may have died in the same way, but the mark their deaths left were both very different.

_
NOTE!

heyyyy so i'm not dead and i'm finally updating!! i'm sorry it took so long, but i was having a hard time finding the inspiration to write and i didn't want to give you guys a half assed chapter, ya dig? anyway, i hope you enjoyed! thanks for reading and thanks for being patient! ❤️

Much love,
нαу∂єи ☕️

Much love,нαу∂єи ☕️