21| Till the End of the Line

Lebanon, Kansas

Lebanon, Kansas

2016

Senior Year: Day Four
_

"Natalie!"

Natalie jolted from where she was sitting in the library scrolling through lore on her computer when she heard her best friend's voice yell her name. Sam and Dean were currently out attempting to get more information on what might have killed Matthew's father and Cas had been popping in and out all week, so it was just her and Matthew in the bunker at the moment. At least, she hoped it was. "Mattie?!" she called back, grabbing her gun from her waistband and darting down the hall in the direction of his voice. "Matt?! Where are you?!"

"In here!"

Natalie followed the sound of his voice like lightning, her heart stopping when she realized it was coming from the dungeon. Oh, shit. She made her way in, slowly lowering her gun when she saw Matthew wasn't in any danger but was instead holding a set of chains in his hands with wide eyes. She swallowed. "Mattie..."

"Why the hell do you have these?" The brunette boy questioned, his eyebrows shooting up his forehead. "Wait, no, hold on - why the hell do you have a dungeon in your house?"

Natalie took a breath, tucking her gun into her waistband. "I can explain-"

"Oh my God," Matthew suddenly said, his eyes slightly wide. "Natalie, I...this isn't like...a kinky thing, is it?"

Natalie blinked. "I - what?"

"Do you have like...like a fetish or something?" Matthew asked, arching an eyebrow. "Because I mean, if you do, it's fine I guess. I mean, you're my best friend, I'll support you through anything, but seriously, this is a little extreme don't you th-"

"This is not a fetish!" Natalie practically yelled, throwing her hands up for a moment before lowering them and dropping her face into them. "Oh, God, Mattie, why would your mind even go there?"

"Well, I'm sorry! Honestly, I think that would be less disturbing than whatever the hell this actually is." Matthew said, his eyebrows shooting up once again. "Are you gonna tell me what's going on? What is this?"

Natalie took a breath, running both hands through her blonde hair before she stepped forward and took the chains from her best friend. "Come to the kitchen with me," she requested softly, raising her eyebrows. "I'll make some coffee and we can talk. It...It's a long story."

***

"So...monsters?" Matthew questioned with raised eyebrows after processing everything Natalie told him. "Demons, angels, vampires, werewolves, the whole shebang? It's all real?"

Natalie sighed softly, nodding and rubbing her thumb carefully over the rim of her coffee cup. "Yeah."

"And your dad and uncle...pretend to be feds?" Matthew questioned, arching an eyebrow. "That's, like, insanely illegal."

"So is running off credit card scams." Natalie smiled sheepishly.

"And that Castiel guy...he's an angel?"

"One of the few that we actually like, yes."

"And Sam and Dean have both been to hell and have met the devil?"

"Yes. Technically I've met him too, but my dad has never let me get close enough to him to actually get the full extent. A good thing I suppose." Natalie chuckled weakly. She sighed softly. "I know it all sounds kind of crazy, but-"

"That is awesome!"

Natalie stared at her best friend for a moment, blinking. "I- sorry?"

"Dude, you're telling me you've been hunting shit straight out of my childhood since you were like twelve?!" Matthew asked, a bright smile gracing his face and a childish twinkle in his brown eyes. "That's so cool!"

Natalie's brow furrowed. "You're...you're not mad at me?"

"Mad?" Matthew questioned, his own brow furrowing as he tipped his head slightly. "Why would I be mad?"

"Because I didn't tell you." Natalie admitted sheepishly, chewing her bottom lip. "I lied to you and-and I'm sorry, but I just - I was so sure you'd think I was batshit and I didn't want to lose you and I-"

"Woah, woah, Nat, slow down," Matthew said, reaching out to take his best friend's smaller hands in his own. "First of all, you're my best friend. I already told you, it's you and me, right? Till the end." he said, raising his eyebrows. "I'll believe and support you through it all, no matter how crazy it might be. And second of all, you're never gonna lose me, okay? You're not. You're stuck with me, Granger." he said, gently poking his best friend's nose and making her laugh softly.

"I suppose that makes you Potter?" she asked with a soft smile.

"Well, duh. I bare a striking resemblance to the guy, wouldn't you say?" Matthew smiled, raising his eyebrows.

"Eh, maybe with your glasses on." Natalie smiled, squeezing his hands gently. "Thank you, Mattie."

"Hey, always." Matthew grinned. "Till the end of the line, right, Rogers?"

Natalie smiled. "You got it, Barnes."

_
NOTE!

so this was short and sweet but i really just needed Mattie to know about the supernatural and for them to have a moment with all the Harry Potter and Marvel references in between 🤷🏼‍♀️ i hope you enjoyed! shoutout to my precious girl -insouciance for the chapter inspiration 💜

Much Love,
HAYDEN ☕️

Much Love,HAYDEN ☕️