16 | It'll be Worth It

Lawrence, Kansas

Lawrence, Kansas

2005

Five days after Jessica Moore died

_

5:23 AM

"Dean. Dean, wake up. Dean!"

"Shh!" Dean hissed quietly to his little brother, cracking his weary eyes open and looking from him to his daughter, who was sprawled out across his chest, fast asleep. "Will you shut up? She fell asleep at like two last night, I don't want to wake her." he murmured, rubbing at his eyes, his brow furrowing when he realized his brother was on the phone. "Who the hell are you talking to?"

"It's-It's Dad." Sam whispered, looking at his brother with wide eyes.

Dean's own eyes grew wide and his lips parted in surprise. He and Sam had both been trying to get in touch with their father since the minute they hit the road after Jessica died. Nothing. Bobby had even tired calling him multiple times and none of them had been having any luck. And now he suddenly calls them out of nowhere? And at the crack of dawn?

"Let me talk to him." he said, reaching a hand out for the phone.

Sam gladly handed it over, sitting on the edge of his brother's bed and being cautious not to wake his sleeping niece. 

"Hello?" Dean said into the phone, slowly entering a sitting position and gently shifting his daughter so she was curled into his lap.

"Dean? Is that you?" John's gravelly voice came from the other end of the phone, and Dean let out a shuddering breath.

"Yeah. Yeah, it's me, Dad." Dean said, slowly entering a sitting position so his daughter was now curled into his shirt, the thick comforter wrapped around her small frame making her look like a little bundled up ball. "Dad, where the hell are you? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine, Dean." John responded.

"Dad, we've been calling you all damn week. We didn't know where you were, if you were okay-"

"I'm okay, Dean, really." John answered, a slight chuckle in his voice. "What about you and Sam? Are you all right?"

"Yeah, we're fine. We're at Bobby's." Dean said, holding his breath for a brief minute when Natalie shifted slightly in his arms. He exhaled softly when she didn't wake, pressing his lips to her hair before putting his attention back on his conversation with his father. "Dad, where the hell are you?"