12 | No Waiting

Lawrence, Kansas

Lawrence, Kansas

2005

4 days after Jessica Moore died

_

Dean chewed his lip as he placed his hand gently on his daughter's forehead for the fifth time that day, hoping for a break in her fever. But when his palm met her skin, it was still slick and clammy as heat radiated off it. He sighed.

"How you feeling, bug?" he asked gently, brushing the hair from her forehead.

Natalie whimpered in response, reaching blindly for her father's hand as she refused to open her eyes.

Dean's heart broke. "I know, baby. I know." he said, gently lifting his daughter from her spot on the sofa and resting her in his lap. The poor little girl couldn't get comfortable in her bed, so Dean had resulted in moving her to the living room.

Natalie sniffled, burying her face in her father's chest as she took in raspy breaths. "Daddy."

"It's okay, baby girl. I'm here. Daddy's right here." Dean whispered, stroking her hair gently.

The little blonde girl sniffled, clutching his shirt tightly in her fists. "Daddy, it hurts." she whimpered.

"What does, bug? What hurts?" Dean asked gently.

"Right here." Natalie pouted, patting her chest with her small hand.

"Your chest hurts?" Dean asked, his brow furrowing with concern. No wonder her breaths were coming out so raspy.

"Mhm." Natalie hummed, coughing slightly into her father's shirt.

Dean rubbed her back tenderly in an attempt to soothe her, shifting her into a sitting position when the coughing didn't stop.

Natalie rode out the rest of her fit and rubbed her eyes sleepily, snuggling into her father's chest. "I don't like being sick." she whispered.

"I know, baby." Dean whispered, shifting so he could lie on the couch with her on his chest. "Uncle Sammy called the doctor and we're going to take you tomorrow and get you all better, okay?"

Natalie nodded, wiping at her eyes as she listened to the soothing rhythm of her father's heartbeat. "You'll be there, right? You and Uncle Sammy?"

"Of course, bug. We're going to be there the whole time." Dean promised, gently cradling the six year old against his chest as he rubbed her back in an attempt to soothe her.