Get Shot and Get Shots - Thomas Jefferson X Reader

Prompt: "Quit whining, it's just a bullet."
AU: none
Changes: none
Warnings: cussing, really dirty talk, drinking, shooting,
Era: Old
POV: second person

Remember that Martha Jefferson is dead at this point!!
~

The Revolutionary War was over, and you were now jobless. A fully trained nurse, jobless.
So what were you left to do? Become a barmaid.

How ironic, after years of warning men not to drink, here you were serving them drinks.

Hercules Mulligan did not hesitate to point this out on multiple occasions.
Today was a multiple occasion.
The bar was empty, until Hercules Mulligan— one of your long term friends— waked in.

"Excuse me miss, where is the beautiful Y/N L/N? I've come here today to confess my undying love to her."

You laughed and placed your hands on your hips.
"If your wife heard you talking like this to me, we'd both be dead."

"She knows I'm joking, Y/N. She's not stupid."

"Unlike you. What do you want to drink?"

Herc gave you a look that screamed "RUDE"

"Isn't it ironic how you advised every single soldier in the hospital wing not to drink ever again, and yet-"

"-Im here serving war veterans drinks. I know, I know. Oh the irony...."
You said in a deadpan
"I've been here for six years, Herc! It pays! And I'm unmarried. This job is the perfect opportunity to find a husband and earn money!"

"Anyone catch your eye yet?"

".... no...."

"Six years and no love interest. Wow."

You bit your lip, and changed the topic, restricting yourself from objecting to his statement.
Yea, there sure was a love interest in those six years. Hell, maybe even longer!
It was a Frenchman who stole your heart, Lafayette. That crush started in the war, and ended in the same place.
The worst part of the whole crush was that you could tell he felt the same.
However, Gilbert was married and a loyal man. You two made a non-verbal agreement that you two wouldn't work out and swallowed your feelings.

But... perhaps... you still had some of your feelings stuck in your teeth.

The bell on the door jingled.

"Good evening! I'll be with you in a moment." You called, not bothering to see who entered.

You filled a mug up to the rim with beer and slid it over to Herc. In return, he slid over the money.

"Don't get wasted." You teased, tapping him on the nose.

"Watch me."

You clicked your tongue and made your way to the counter.

"How may I help you s- G-GILBERT?!" You squeaked, dropping the money and backing yourself into the wall. Your eyes almost brimmed with tears but—

"Not. Gilbert."

"O-oh..." You sniffled And swallowed back a sob.
"S-sorry about that....Gilbert is an old friend. Do you know a Gilbert?"