Home?

Marshall's P.O.V.

I'm sad because my mother now has custody of Nate again and I have to go back to living at home. Honestly Alyssa's house felt much more like a home to me than my actual home because I've been living there for a while now, I even spent my fifteenth birthday with Alyssa and her mother. They've always been so welcoming and kind towards me unlike my mother. Although I love my mother with all my heart so I guess I am excited to see her. After the last fight that my mother had with Alyssa's mother, Alyssa's mother got a restraining order against her.

"Today's the day" Alyssa says softly to me.

"Yeah I know" I say quietly.
"Are you nervous?" she asks.

"No not really, I mean this isn't the first time I've been kicked out of the house" I tell her.

She looks at me sympathetically and then she pats my back. "I'm sorry you've had to go through these things" she says.

"It's okay" I say softly.

"I'm sorry for what you go through too Alyssa" I tell her.

"Thanks Marshall" she says smiling.

"You know what, life sucks" I say.

Alyssa breaks out into laughter "yeah Marshall life sucks" she says between giggles.

Then she stops laughing and looks seriously into my eyes and I look into hers. Her eyes are so beautiful they make me think of a cool blue ocean the kind you see in pictures near tropical islands.

"Just remember something Marshall I'm here for you whenever you need me" she says sweetly.

I smile at her and I start to tell her the same thing but I'm suddenly interrupted by the ringing of the doorbell.

"Marshall! Aly! please com to the living room" Alyssa's mother calls.

Me and Alyssa walk slowly from her room to the living room where my mother and little brother Nate are waiting for me. As soon as I walk into the room my mother jumps up off of the couch and wraps her arms around me tightly "oh Marshall my baby boy I've missed you so much!" she says.

"Did you miss me?" she asks me curiously.

"Yeah ma I missed you" I say softly.

"Well good" she says cheerfully. Then she gently grabs my hand and leads me to the door.

"Say goodbye to your little friend Marshall" she says.

"Bye Alyssa" I say giving her a wave and a little smile. Then we walk out the door.

We arrive back at our small shabby house, I walk up the porch steps and open the screen door then I make my way towards my room. Suddenly my mother asks "Marshall I'm making waffles for dinner do you want some?"

"Sure ma" I say smiling at her. I love waffles a lot I don't mind if I eat them for dinner even if they are considered breakfast food.

I walk into my room, sit on my beanbag and take one of my spiderman comic books from my neatly organized comic book collection and I open it up to admire the artwork. I think it would be so cool to be a comic book artist but I want to be a rapper a lot more because music is everything to me, well almost everything to me my mother my little brother and my only friend Alyssa along with the music is everything to me.

"Marshall your waffles are ready!" my mother calls from the kitchen.

I come into the kitchen and I sit at our small kitchen table next to Nate in his high chair. My mother places a plate of waffles in front of me then she pours warm maple syrup on them.

"Thanks ma" I say.

After I eat instead of going back into my room I go into the living room and my mother is sitting on the couch quietly so I sit down then I cuddle up next to her and lay there. A little while goes by and she starts to push me away. "Marshall please get off of me" she says.

"Oh I'm sorry" I say sadly.

"You should be, gosh why are you so clingy?" she says rudely.

"Sorry" I whisper then I walk into my room turn on some music and lay on my bed.

Is this what a home is supposed to be like? Or have I done something wrong? I wonder if anyone else feels this lonely.