Chapter One

*beep beep *

I roll over as I hear my alarm go off and put my arm over face to block the sunlight drifting in from the windows.

"Leh get upppppp. We have to have fun today." My sister said jumping on my bed.

"Sunny get off of me." I said pushing her off of me.

"Lela Rah Baxton." She said sternly.

"Sunny Cari Baxton." I said back.

"Come on we need to have fun before you lose your freedom." She said

"I have an interview today and I'm exhausted please get the fuck out." I said

"Fine asshole." She said slamming my door.

I sat up in my bed and put my bushy hair into a ponytail. I took a  deep breath and got my glasses of the table.

Shit they're cracked.

I threw them at the wall and put my head in my hands . How the fuck am I going to go to an interview blind.

Whatever I'll manage I'm far sighted so I'm fine.

I checked my phone and went to the bathroom.

I threw my phone on a towel on the counter and lifted the toilet seat up.

As I sat there thinking what I was going to wear I took my shirt and bra off and slipped my feet out of my boxers and underwear. I took my ponytail holder off and put it on the counter.

I wiped and flushed the toilet and turned the shower on. I stepped in and felt the hot water fall down my back feeling my hair get heavy. I shampooed my hair and rinsed it out and put sum heavy conditioner on it and clipped it on the top of my head and washed my body. I rinsed my hair and turned the shower off and got out and dried off. I put on sum coco butter and tied my towel around me and walked to the closet.

What should I wear. I mean she's in her late twenties so I should go business casual.

I grabbed a white dress shirt and some black slacks.

I put on my white push up bra and underwear set and laid my clothes on the bed. I went to the bathroom and got out my comb and brush and parted my hair down the middle and slicked it into a bushy ponytail.

I went and got dressed and met Sunny in the kitchen.

She made pancakes. I ate three and kissed her on the cheek and grabbed my bag.

I opened it and made sure I had my resume portfolio, chargers, wallet and house keys.

"Wait...why do you have your shirt buttoned to the top Jesus live a little." She said and unbuttoned my two top buttons.

"Cari I'll be back soon and I'll fix dinner." I said and walked out the door.

I checked my phone and my uber was 2 minutes away. I walked downstairs.

My shoes were in my hand and I put them on when I got in the car.

When I arrived at the office building all I thought was it's huge. The sign read Smith and Company Inc. in white bold letters.

According to my research this was a company of many things. Logistics and construction and any other project this girl could get her hands on.

I took a deep breath and went through the front door and  walked to the front desk. I told the receptionist who I was there for. She told me to sit down in the lobby and called up to tell them I was here.

I looked out the window at the busy street as I heard the receptionist say "Ms. Baxton. Ms. Smith is ready for you."

She guided me to the elevator and told me to walk straight down to the last door.

I took another deep breath and knocked on the door. It opened and a hand gestured towards the chairs in front of the desk.

Damn I'm so blind I can't even tell what color her eyes are. She stuck a hand out and I shook it. It was a firm handshake.

"Hello my name is Makai Smith I'm the owner and CEO of Smith and Company Inc. ." She said

"Hello my name is Lela Baxton. " I simply said .

She pulled my resume out of her desk and looked over it.

"This is fascinating. You graduated from Spellman in law and yet you applied for a secretary/ assistant job. Why?" She asked

"It's in the city, I live a few minutes away, pays good with benefits, I met the requirements that were asked and I would have time to spend with my little sister. Even though I graduated with a law degree and could easily pass  the bar I didn't want to go into the law world fresh out of college. But you wanted someone who was a certified legal aid." I said

"Tell me about your previous work experience." She said

"My first job was at a restaurant of a family friends during the summer when I was 16. After I graduated high school I worked two jobs for a year and a half to make sure i could pay for college. After I got accepted into Spellman I worked at a warehouse at night and during the day I was an assistant to a judge. I would handle his scheduling and emails things if that nature." I said

"What about hobbies?" She asked

I laughed and said "Well my uncle is a music producer so I spend alot of time in the studio writing, singing, writing and producing. I do gigs for extra money sometimes."

"And you weren't good enough to be in that profession so you decided to choose this path? " she asked

"My mother and uncle said if I got a degree they would support my music dreams. But after the passing of my mother and father my uncle kept my sister until I graduated. After getting my degree I decided to finish out with my career. I'm locally famous and had multiple opportunities to sign with labels here in Atlanta and in LA but decided to stay here to care for my younger sister. Music is my passion and I'm content with just doing it for fun and making a little cash." I said

"So if you were chosen would this indeed be your main focus and priority?" She asked

"Yes. "I said

She nodded her head in approval as I stared at her blankly.

"Are you admiring my tattoo? " she asked

"You have a tattoo ?" I asked stupidly.

"Are you blind I obviously have a cross on my forehead. " She said laughing.

I gazed at her silently and looked down.  She stopped laughing.

"Oh my God are you really blind?" She asked seriously. Jumping out of her chair sitting next to me swiftly.

She turned my chair to face her. Her hands were resting on my knees. Speak you idiot I thought to myself.

"I .... I'm farsighted and my younger sister broke my glasses this morning and my contacts don't come in for another two days. I can read but I can't see facial features or read signs unless they are big." I said

I felt like a little kid. Her body screamed authority but it also had compassion.

She started laughing this deep hardy laugh.

I giggled.

"Well I would say that this interview went well and I don't have any more questions. So you may leave. " She said and removed her hands and sat back in her chair.

"Yea. It was nice to meet you." I said standing swiftly and shaking her hand.

"Have a good afternoon. " She said as I walked out the door.

"You too." I said