Wedding

No, not Eri's, just in case you were wondering ;)

"So why are we here six weeks early?" Eri asked.

"I need you here," Lila said desperately.

"I know, but why?"

"Who else will I entrust the task of helping me pick out a wedding gown?"

"You haven't picked it out yet??" Marcus asked. "Wasn't that supposed to happen months ago?"

"I decided to do it later," Lila mumbled.

"You mean you forgot." Marcus raised an eyebrow.

"Of course not! Why would I?" Lila laughed, refusing to meet Marcus' eyes. Turning to Eri, she continued, "I'll need your help deciding my wedding dress, the guest list...and of course, you'll be my Companion."

"What's a Companion?" Eri asked.

"Recently, there's been a trend in weddings that the closest friends of the couple stand by their side as the couple recites their vows. These people are Companions, and I thought it was important for me to have you two and Kazu by my side." Lila paused. "It would mean a lot."

Eri smiled. "I would be honoured, Lila."

Marcus nodded his head in agreement. "So would I."

"Thank you." The best friends hugged, pretending that it was their school days again - carefree and cheerful. Things would soon be different. Lila didn't know how often she'd see her friends again, which was the main reason she'd called them over. I want to spend as much time with them as possible. 

At that moment, the three were sitting near the fountain in front of Lila's home. It would only be Eri, Lila, and Marcus; Kazu, due to his travels, wouldn't be able to make it until two weeks before the wedding, which was when all the parties would begin. Unknown to the others, he had already written to Eri in secret, making plans for the two of them to sneak out of every single party except the main ceremony itself, and the dinner afterwards.

You and I know for a fact that we're not interested in parties, he wrote, especially with so many people around, given that this is a royal wedding. I say we quietly leave after five minutes and spend time by ourselves.

Eri fully approved of this plan. Having been begged by Lila to arrive the moment term ended at the university, she knew she would get tired of being around the same people all the time. She was still quite uncomfortable around crowds, and would be exhausted after helping Lila with the wedding preparations.

Like Kazu had said, it was a royal wedding, which meant that the preparations were to be ten times more extravagant than if it was between two noble families. In addition, Valerian was the crown prince, and the kingdom was expecting a grand ceremony for the same.

"That's a lot to plan," Marcus remarked on seeing Lila's list. "Why did you two decide to get this done at the last minute?"

1. Clothes - Parties, Main Ceremony, Dinner
2. Design of Wedding Hall (Val, this is your job!)
3. Food (Marcus)
4. Finalize Guest List (and remove fifteen people)
5. Musicians
6. How many attendants?
7. Security
8.  Holiday Plans

"We were busy," Lila said shortly.

"Busy doing what?" Marcus smirked. Eri looked up from the list, confused.

"I get that you were running the family business and Valerian has to manage the court," she began, "but Marcus, is right, what were you two doing?"

"Don't bother," Marcus said lightly. "Lila knows exactly what they were doing."

"What?" Eri was even more confused now.