chapter 15

This was the possessive feeling his father talked about. The need to be with her no matter what. As long as he could spend time with her, hold her, he would be happy. Nothing else mattered in
life other than the rare moments of bliss, two people shared together.
"I don't find you repulsive," she said.
"What about my age?"
"I don't care about your age either."
"Just my general need to control?" She smiled, the first real smile he'd ever seen her make. "You should do that more often."
"What?"
"Smile."
She blushed.
"It seems hard to smile," she said after a few moments.
"Why?"
"Because I've never had much to smile about."
Jalal didn't question her further. He knew how hard it could be to talk about people.
"What will I be doing today?" she asked.
"You'll be camping out in my office."
"Doing what?"
"I bought you this and took the liberty of filling it with some books." He reached inside his briefcase and pulled out one of the
small e-readers that were so popular.
"Why would I need this?"
"Because you weren't well yesterday and I rather like the thought of having you in my office so I can keep an eye on you."
Also, I hate the fucking bastards in the office who check you out. You're mine, Selena, and I don't share.
"I'll pay you back," she said. Her hands shook on the small device.
"Don't worry about it. I would be offended if you even tried to pay me off. That's yours. I only ever want to see you smiling as you read it."
"Thank you."
"You're welcome. Can I ask for something in return?"
"Anything."
Selena had hoped she would say that. "Kiss me."
She frowned but moved to sit beside him. Her brown eyes were so expressive. The apprehension was back, but she had a ghost of a smile back on her face. The moment she went to kiss his cheek, jalal stopped her.
"No. I want you to kiss me on the lips."
He wanted to know what it felt like to have her reach across the short distance and place those lips on him. His blood was firing on all cylinders, creating an inferno inside. With the e-reader in her lap, she leaned over and brushed her lips against his. Not the most sensual of kisses, but to jalal it was the most beautiful thing he'd had.
"Thank you for the present, jalal" She moved back to her seat, staring at his gift in her hand.
Selena hadn't lived a life where she got many presents. The most her mother could afford was the clothes on her back and enough to feed her. Most of the nights were spent with male clients while
Selena camped out, hidden in her little cupboard. As soon as she was able, she'd taught herself to read and write, going to the priest to get his help. He was the only friend she had who wasn't in Dominic Green's pockets. She stared down at the gift. Her
heart beat frantically inside her chest. Did this gift mean as much to jalal as it did to her?

She never wanted to let it go. At Christmas, her mother had given her a doll. A small plastic doll, with no clothes, but it had been one of the best years of her life.
Biting her lip to contain the tears, Selena ran her hand over the flap covering the screen.
Should she give it back? No, her kiss had been the only payment required. She looked up and saw jalal staring back at her. The intensity of his stare held her in place. He made her tingle from head to toe from his kisses and touches. Jalal Ashwood made
her feel. For most of her life, she'd learnt to cut herself off from feeling. Being numb was better than being alone and in pain.
"Are you all right?" he asked.
"Yes."
He could have no idea what that simple gesture meant to her.
Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath, holding the gift to her chest. When the limo pulled up outside, she followed him outside. With a hand on her back, he escorted her upstairs.
Next to him going through his office, she felt immature and out of her
depth. There were so many women who would love to be with him, who could keep up with him at every turn.
She felt the stares and tried to ignore them. The hatred coming off the women threatened to burn a hole straight through her back. He yanked on his office door, and it opened instantly.
Stacey stared at her but smiled rather than glared. At least there was one person who wouldn't hate her.
Jalal was working his way into her system. When she looked at him, her heart beat, and she felt
alive. Someone was looking at her, not staring over her. Jalal saw her; he didn't see through her.
"Take a seat. Relax and enjoy."
He threw his jacket on the seat and went around to his desk. She
sat on the seat next to his jacket.
Opening the flap of her present, she read through the titles of the books available to read. Not many stood out, so she decided to start from the top.
His voice as he spoke on the phone would distract her. At times she looked up and caught him staring back at her. After a time, she pulled his jacket over her. She felt so calm and happy to be safe.

Dominic Green stared at the queue of girls in front of him. Some looked like they were knocking on death's door. He picked out a selection before going back inside his office. Business was booming. The crisis in the world meant more people were turning to gambling, drugs, and women to escape the pain of their situation.
He lit up a smoke and sat down. Pouring himself a healthy measure of scotch, he glared at the picture on his desk. The girl was a pretty bitch, he'd give her that. She'd pack a couple of grand in a few nights. Some of his more expensive clients liked them on the chunky side with the girl-next-door kind of look.
His men had failed to gather any information on the girl's whereabouts. It was as if she'd fallen of the face of the earth.
Valerie had been a rare find, a girl with a heart yearning for love.
How that bitch had managed to keep her daughter a secret was beyond him.