Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Kasandra Fotiadis

He was so gorgeous with his blond curly hair and his brilliant ocean blue eyes. He was sitting at the other end of the quad with the rest of the football team, the oddly shaped ball in hand, the sun shining down on his golden locks as he threw his head back laughing at something one of the guys must have said. As I scrutinised him a moment longer, I could see Ashley approaching him.

She was you’re regular popular chick. Thin, almost bony with long pin straight fair tresses that flowed down perfectly bellow her chest, which was huge if you were wondering, unbelievably huge for such a small figure. Billy observed that they were probably implants and that I should ask her where she bought them. I had hit him over the head.

Anyway, she and her band of clones strode as if they were on a catwalk towards the jocks. She sat down beside the blond Adonis and gave him a full kiss on the cheek. I never understood what he saw in her.

“She must have a big heart” Billy had said while squeezing the air around his chest area as if they were breasts. He was probably right though, guys like Leo would always pick the thin big hearted girls.

I turned my head back to Billy who was talking about god-knows-what. I wasn’t really listening; all I saw were his hands making large movements. I stared at him for a moment. The world was completely silent, I had just noticed and the moment I did, sound suddenly flooded back like a large wave hitting the shore.

“-And he pulled out the AK-47 and-“

I cut him off. “Billy, I honestly don’t understand a single thing you’re saying. It seems like gibberish to me.”

He looked at me disappointed. “The only reason it’s gibberish to you is because you got distracted and started drooling over Leo.”

I was appalled! How could he think that? I mean I was, but I was discreet about it… Wasn’t I?  “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said taking a bite of my sandwich.

The lunch bell then echoed throughout the quad. Lunch would be over in fifteen minutes, time to get to class. I got up dusting off the back of my worn-out jeans to throw off any grass that might have stuck onto them and started walking towards the school with Billy.

“I have practice today,” I said even though he knew. He had an impeccable memory. He just nodded and continued talking about whatever he had started before. I listened as I headed to chemistry.

*             *           *

“Sam!” I turned around and saw Jasmine tying up her cleats on the bench. I walked over to her and sat down next to her giving her a sincere hello. “It’s started.” She said.

I gave her a perplexed look. It was very much like Jazz to say things without really giving you a real explanation, as if you should already know what she is talking about. I didn’t mind though, I would just ask her.

“What do you mean?” I asked looking forward, where she was looking. She then lifted her hand and started pointing people out. Couples. She pointed at Gretchen and Milo kissing behind the bleachers; at Jeremiah and Ciara kissing on the bleachers. Everyone was coupling up, everyone is getting into relationships. “Why? Isn’t this love fest a little early? Don’t they usually start up in the spring?”

Jazz nodded. “It’s prom. Everyone is trying to find a date before all the good ones are gone.” The “hot” boys. I wasn’t going to find one. It was impossible. My lack of “sexiness” vetoes that.

I turned to look at Jazz. “Jazzy, would you like to be my prom date?”

She looked at me and rolled her eyes. “Common’ Sam, you’re going to have a date.” I gave her a puzzled look. She ignored it and got up. “Tie up those cleats and get on the field, I want to jog around before the practice starts.”

Practice was tough, as it always was in the beginning of the season because Coach Masterson always wants to whip the new girls in shape so that when the season starts in a couple of weeks we are ready.

I didn’t pay much attention to the gossip or the talk that surrounded me. I even had a hard time listening to Jazz and she usually had my attention with the snap of her fingers. All I could do was look over at the football team training not too far away from us. Leo was the running back. He was leading the team in some sort of drill I didn’t quite understand, but I loved studying the way his muscles moved as he ran, the way his jaw set when he was ready to sprint, it left me breathless.

The practice ended in a flash, I hadn’t noticed the time passing by.

I went to the showers washed up quickly and headed towards the football field. The team was just having a cool down.

I sat on the bleachers near where team ran and waited. Leo saw me and nodded. “I’ll meet you by the car.” I nodded and got up.

*             *           *          

“How was practice?” I asked him as we both got into the car. He smiled making my heart stop for a split second. He smelled of sweat, but it didn’t smell bad, it was more of a musky sweet smell and he had some dirt across his cheek bone.

“It was good.” He replied. “And yours?” I told him it was good and that the coach was expecting us to go to nationals this year because of our new goalie. She was amazing for a first year. He grinned approvingly.

I turned away from him and looked at the familiar road in front of me. It was the path I took with Leo after every soccer practice because our teams usually had practice at the same time. I remember the first time I had brought it up to Leo, giving him this bullshit excuse about the environment and how us carpooling would be better rather than having my dad drive all the way to school to get me when we both were heading for the same street (being as we are neighbours).

“Remember when we were taking those swimming lessons together!” I said all of the sudden. I didn’t know why. I didn't look at him when the words fell out of my mouth, for a good three seconds, at the least, but when I finally had the courage to talk to him, he had a surprised look in his face.

“Yeah I do!” he laughed, “I was the little fat kid who had a crush on you!” I hit him on the shoulder. I was amazed with myself. Where was all this coming from?

“You’re kidding!”

“No,” he smiled, “It was the funniest thing. I used to bike by your house to see if you were outside to talk to you.”  My heart stopped. All those years I thought him liking me was all in my mind. Apparently it wasn’t.

Before I could ask him anything else like: Do you still like me? Why did you like me? If I had told you I liked you too, would we be dating now? He pulled up in front of a familiar place. My house. It was a fairly large house, though it wasn't a single home. It was in fact a duplex that my decided would be better as a oneplex. They broke down a wall between the two houses within a house and turned it into one big house. We had needed the space because my dad was a diehard comic-book geek and his comic-book/statue room was beginning to be too small for his large collection. My old room became his "fun room" and I have a bigger room upstairs.   I unbuckled my seatbelt and got out of the car. “Thanks”

“No problem. Same time Thursday?”

I nodded and ran into the house, already thinking about how I was going to tell Jazz of my latest discovery.