Chapter 5

“Leo-“

The voice interrupted us. Interrupted us? We weren’t doing anything! Sam, you could have just imagined the whole thing! It’s the magic in this building. My heart began pumping in my ears. It hadn’t been my voice that had interrupted the “almost kiss”. It had been Ashley’s voice, Leo’s girlfriend’s voice, Leo’s girlfriend for the past two years.

Our head snapped up and turned to face her. “Oh!” she said as if she had just noticed me, as if I were so beneath her that nothing could ever happen between Leo and I. IT COULD! I wanted to shout, but I decided against it.

“I’m uh, waiting for my clothes in the dryer.” I said a little short of breath. She lifted her brow in an accusing manner, as if I were pathetic for even attempting to speak to her royal highness.

“Yeah,” Leo said getting up off the bed, striding towards Ashley lifting his arm and flexing it behind his head. “She fell into the lake.”

Fell? Really? He dragged me in! Why was he lying! I

I turned to him, he gave me a sad smile and I turned away embarrassed.

“I fell,” I lied, the words almost choked me.

“Oh alright,” she smiled her perfect and sinister smile giving her long flowing strawberry blond hair a shake. She looked up at her boyfriend and gave him a long sweet kiss, as if I wasn’t there, rapping her arm around his neck and taking a hold of his beautiful curls. Her grey eyes then caught me starring as she pulled him into a hug. They flared in a scary way, not the usual sweet innocent stares she gave Leo, but a glare that could kill. Then suddenly she smiled.

“Well the dryer seems to be all done.”

*             *           *

I stood at the doorway ready to head home. Both Ashley and Leo were going to walk me. Leo insisted I be accompanied and Ashley refused to stay behind.

I leaned down to tie my converse that were a little damp from the water they soaked in from my socks as Leo pulled on a light jacket and Ashley stood there waiting.

The phone began to ring. Leo’s head snapped up.

“Oh go get it,” Ashley smiled, “We can wait.” He looked at me for a slit moment, and before I had the time to react he nodded and ran out of the room. I finished tying my shoes and stood up. I was face to face with the devil-queen.

“Alright listen up,” she said in a menacing tone. She may be a petite blondie, but she wasn’t messing around. “Get your own boyfriend you whore. He’s mine and if you try anything funny I will make your life miserable, so miserable in fact that it will seem extravagant compared to Michael Manste.” She was dead serious. You could see it in her eyes.

Michael Manste jumped off Ricory Bridge with an anchor attached to his leg.

I gulped as her smile grew wide.

“And Michael didn’t even to anything to me personally.”

I looked her in the eyes. I didn’t blink. I wasn’t afraid. Okay, I wasn’t completely afraid. I opened my mouth to say something when Leo reappeared.

“Leo babe, I’m suddenly really tired. I’ll just got up to your room and meet you there.” Ashley’s voice sang. She then turned to look at me, giving me a knowing smile. “It was really nice seeing you Sim.”

“It’s Sam.” I said lamely.

“Sorry,” she bit her lip, faking her embarrassment. She then leaned over and gave me a hug making sure she dug her nails in a little bit. “Bye Sammy dear.”

I nodded goodbye and followed Leo out the door.

We walked in silence for what seemed like hours, though I knew it couldn’t have been since we were about three minutes away from my house.

Finally after what seemed like a lifetime, Leo turned to me and said, “I’m really sorry about Ashley, she gets like that, jealous I mean.”

“She has something to be jealous about?” I said half joking half with hope. Please tell me she has something to be jealous about.

“No, of course not!” he said. “We are friends, but let’s just keep our friendship on the down low for a while, you know. I mean, just until she cools off.”

“Or we could be like Landon and Jamie in A Walk to Remember, secret friends.” I said hopefully. I didn’t think he knew that Jamie and Landon became lovers in the end. It doesn’t seem like a movie Ashley would make him see.

He turned to me and smiled. “Okay, secret friends. That’s cool.”

By the time we reached my door we were discussing different ways we could hang out without anyone knowing and it would be great fun.

I got home and we continued texting about it.

*             *           *

The next day at school was great. I was so happy with Leo and I sharing secret smiles and sending messages, I was in heaven.

It all went downhill though after English though. I found a note on my locker.

Leo isn’t the best at keeping track of his cellphone. Landon and Jamie really? End this now before I make things get ugly. Whore.

I got on my bike and rode home in tears. Just like that, with a snap of her fingers she made the best day of my life the worst. I got Leo and lost him like that.

I ran onto my bed, fell face first into my pillow with my Stitch stuffy in arms and began to cry. I cried and cried until there was no more liquid being produced from my eyes.

I looked up and saw the blanket covered box.

ROB-BIE.