Chapter 6

I waited until my parents went off to work that morning before finally looking inside the box. Though I realised I didn’t really want to rush it. I wanted to make this moment last for a long time. I walked down into the kitchen and poured myself a bowl of Frosted Flakes and sat down on one of the three stools that aligned the marble black counter.

I let the sweet crunchy substance linger on my tongue as I looked outside. Across the counter was a large window-like sliding door that led out into my back yard. Most houses around here had pools that filled up their whole yard, and frankly, you couldn’t really enjoy it. My yard, luckily, was different. When Al’s Pool Construction had that really amazing promotion a couple of years back, my mom hadn’t wanted a pool.

“We will have a beautiful garden and everyone else will regret paying all that money to put a hole with cement in beautiful nature.” I had rolled my eyes at the thought. Who, in their right mind, would be jealous of a garden? And now, looking out at the grass, small trees and flowers that covered every inch of the yard, except for a small stone area, I thought to myself: Wow.

I was contemplating grabbing a book, a tall glass of lemonade and tanning in my personal paradise, but decided against it because the moment I stepped out there, I would never get around to opening that box.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and starred at Jazzy’s number. Should I call her? I shook my head at the thought.

I walked up the stairs in a very slow manner as if I were dragging my feet up the steps. I didn’t want to admit it, but I was sort of afraid. What if this machine was manufactured by some foreign country and being used to spy on the population? What if it was a bomb ready to kill me?

I sat on my bed and starred at the box, the light shown in brightly in my room; I could feel the warm rays on my legs and arms. The day was extraordinary, horrible things don’t happen on days like these.

I jumped off the bed, hammer in hand and began my attempt at opening the wooden crate. After about thirty minutes, I had opened the blasted thing to find that inside was another box! and a book; an instruction manual to be exact with a CD-ROM

“INSTAL CD-ROM AND FOLLOW INTRUCTIONS THAT FOLLOW TO BEGIN USAGE OF YOUR ROBOTIC BOYFRIEND. FOR ANY COMMENTS, QUESTIONS…”

I sat in front of the computer screen and took in a deep breath.

This is it.

*             *           *

I opened the disk drive and put in the CD-ROM.

THANK YOU FOR PURCHASIN A ROBOTIC BOYFRIEND FROM ROBOTIC BOYFRIENDS INCORPORATED ENTERPRISES™. PLEASE FILL OUT OUR QUESTIONNAIRE SO YOU MAY BEGIN TO ENJOY USE OF OUR PRODUCT.

   I began reading the questionnaire.  

About your R-B: [to fill]

Likes: [Sports]

I stopped. I had no idea what to do. How do I decide what someone likes? a boy especially. I don’t know the first thing about a boy’s personality.

I gave up.

I picked up my phone and called Billy. He picked up the phone on the third ring with a tired deep voice. “Hello.”

“What if I told you I had a robot in my room?”

He was on his way over.