Act 10: Memories

(Papyrus Pov)

It has been hours since Sans suddenly rushed out of the house. I knew he went to Grillby's, but I still began to worry. Grillby would call me if Sans got hurt, or passed out. No need to jump to conclusions. I bet he's fine.

Another hour has passed by, I'm beginning to get more and more worried. Every passing minute seems like an eternity.

Yet another hour's gone by. It's getting close to night time, the outside lanterns have already flickered on. My worriedness knows no bounds. But I do have time to have some self reflection.

It really never occurred to me how much I worry. I fuss with Sans day and night. I'm like a parent towards him. I don't know why, but I never noticed my 'motherly instincts.'

I snickered to myself. 'Motherly instincts' is a hilarious thing to call the way I act. I should change that, right now.

"Sans can come home whenever he wants," I said out loud to myself as I headed towards my room, "I am not the one in charge of him anymore. He is more than able to take care of himself. Nyeh heh heh."

I opened my bedroom door with pride. My worries seemed to have slipped away, I feel incredible. I quickly changed into my pajamas and went to sleep.

.................

I stirred awake. I felt slight nausea, and I checked my phone's clock. It has only been 2 hours. I also noticed that I had 9 missed calls. All of them from Grillby.

I wasn't too shocked, and I was expecting this to happen. I did notice Grillby left 1 voicemail. I decided to listen to it as I got dressed.

Grillby: Hello Papyrus. Sorry you missed my calls, but.........Sans left his phone over here, so I can't contact him. Also I'm asking to see if he came home. You're probably asleep anyways. Hope you both sleep well. Goodbye.

After listening to the message, I stood up in shock. Sans wasn't home. I raced out of the room, only to collapse to the ground. The noise of bones slammed onto wood filled the already tense atmosphere.

I collected myself, only to stare at Sans's still ajar door. Usually he closes it when he sleeps, but maybe I'm just over reacting. I slowly creep to the door only to nearly fall once again. Gripping the door with all my strength, I began to tear up in disbelief.

He's not there.

I full blow sprinted downstairs and grabbed a coat off the coat rack. I jumped out the door, when reality hit me in the face. I don't know where to go.

I leaned onto our house beginning to cry. I slumped down and pulled my knees to my face. Ever since that day, I haven't shaken off the feeling that I just abandoned Sans. I could feel my regret crawling on my spine. The feeling was nightmarish.

I felt horrible, completely horrible. I failed Sans. I no longer cared for myself, Sans was the only family I had left.

I began to remember a happier time for Sans and I. Back when we lived near the capital.

The earliest I can remember was when I was 6 and Sans was 11. We would spend the entire day together; watching television, reading stories, practicing magic, and other activities of that sort. All the while D̶̡̺̻͎̗͔̹̟͙͎͔͚̫͖͇̞̺͎̯̭̳̯̦̰̮̟͖̟̩̩̗͔̣̺̳̭͍̦̿̉̽́͂̈́͋̔̀̇́̐̌̄̈́͒̄͗͒͐̇̄̀̓̀̾̊͑̉͌̾͛̈́̊̿̅̋͘̕̚̚͜͝͝͝͠ͅͅͅa̷̬̠̘̠͍̬͔̳͖̎̐͌́̆͑͌̄͐̅̓̉̆̍́̆̄̿̂͂̒̔͌̉͛́̉̒̉̈́͐̓́̑̇͗͒̉̂͑̕̚̕̕̕͠͝͝ḑ̵̨̼̟̳͈̲̺̩͔̱͇̯̞̝̜̥̺͔͎̖͙̹̥̣̘͕̩̭̹͚͉̙͇͈̫͕͕͍͍͖͙̻̥̮͍̫̠͖͗͂̒̌͋͗̃̊̆̂̈́̋͌̐̑̐̊̀͑͂̔̍̌̚̚͜͜͜͜͝͝ went to work at the laboratory.

It wasn't long after th-.

A sudden noise shocked me out of my nostalgia. I shot up in surprise when I heard sobbing behind the house. I felt suspicious about this, I didn't hear it earlier.

It didn't take the genius of the Great Papyrus to understand where the source came from, but I still didn't jump to conclusions.

It came from Sans's workshop.

I don't have a key to this room, but it didn't matter my slightest touch caused it to creepily creek open. The room was dimly lit, which caused me unease.

The sobbing was now accompanied by whispers. It sounded quite familiar.

Sans's nightmares.

Of course it was Sans. He's the only one with a key and the door didn't appear to have been broken into.

"Sans?" I questioned the shaking form of life that was curled into a ball, "I am here brother."

Still he didn't respond, but I could hear more clearly.

"no no no, please no. not papyrus. xsziz. go, get away. frisk. not safe. papyrus not safe. i-i'm dangerous......."

Sans's gasped words scared me.

"S-sans?" I questioned yet again as I closed my arms around him. In a brotherly embrace.

Sans shot awake sweat streaming down his skull, his left eye flashing ferociously.

"pap...papyrUS!" he started screaming. His arms shaking in mine. As if on cue a loud ear splitting crack echoed through the room.

"ARGGG!" another sream escaped Sans tightly closed teeth. I hugged him even closer, his body becoming sharper every second.

"Sans, I really need you to calm down," I began to coo Sans, "never stop smiling. It makes others happy too."

I quoted off what Mother said to Sans, hoping to calm him.

Almost as fast as it started, it stopped. Sans stopped shaking and he pulled me closer.

Something was different this time though. He wasn't changing back.

It didn't entirely matter to me.

I'd help him in the morning.

For now I picked him up and brought him inside the house. Trying my best to keep him comfortable I went up the stairs and into my room.

I tucked him into bed.

I gathered an extra blanket and a pillow.

I collapsed onto the ground, from exhaustion.

Sleep well Sans.

____________________________________

((If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a vote))