Heaven Tonight

August 6, 1998 – Malibu, California

"Give me a scream, Corey!" I said.
Corey screamed at the top of his lungs, and the band erupted into music thereafter.

We were in the recording studio with Slipknot. They were recording for their first CD together.

Obviously, they cut the previous singer and added Corey into the band. In my opinion, it was the best decision Shawn's made.

I stood there headbanging to it beside Shanna.

They broke into the song 'Get This'. Corey gave it 100% of what he had through the entirety of the song.

"Whooo! Yeah!" Sid shouted after Corey spat the last word.

There was so much rage and hatred flowing from the entire band through their music and I loved that raw emotion. I can already tell that these guys are going to blow people away.

The next song that they broke into was one that Joey wrote, called 'Scissors'. I instantly fell in love with it.

The lyrics were dark as hell and the whole energy flowing from the nine guys just emitted evil.

I was in love – not just with Sid. I was in love with this band as a whole.

Earlier in the week I had decided I'd start calling around to record companies to try and get a job as the band's manager.

Things were coming together pretty quickly for the nine. I could tell that recording every day really took its toll on everyone.

It was an every day process that stretched on for months. And every day was anywhere between 9 – 12 hours of bickering between 13 people total.

Corey became extremely hateful to everyone around him which kept me and Shanna in the worst mood.

Corey literally spit out the lyrics to Eyeless. When he got to the chorus and his tone changed, he rolled his eyes to the back of his head and it was like he became a total different person.

He launched into the next verse, screaming, "LOOK ME IN MY BRAND NEW EYE!"

And when he screamed motherfucker, it literally gave me chills. As strange as that sounded, it was beautiful and perfect. I looked over to Shanna and nudged her.

I nodded to her and whispered, "That's it. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but that's it!"

She chuckled and agreed with me. This shit just better be worth it.

Sid has become pretty distant as well and we don't talk much anymore. I know he's worn out from all the time spent recording but it still hurts a little.

As hateful as Corey is to everyone, he still spends all of his free time with Shanna. I should know; she basically lives with us. There's hardly ever a time that she isn't there.