The Inevitability of Falling in Love

Maya's POV

Adjusting to college was a lot harder than I always thought it would be. I had Riley by my side after all, it should be easy, but in reality it was anything but. I hated being away from home, all I wanted was my own bed and my noisy neighbors. I roll over in my bed and sigh, glancing across the room at Riley lying soundlessly in her bed. I sigh as I throw back my blankets and slip on my slippers before tying a robe around my waist. I grab my phone and head out of my dorm room, off down the hallway.

I walk for a period of time that seems endless until the sound of moaning from a nearby door catches my attention. I knew the room as well as my own, it was Josh's. My heart drops as I inch closer, hearing the sounds getting louder, the moans and the creaking bed, it was a wonder an RA hadn't caught them. It was after curfew after all.

I continue to walk, picking up speed as I try to block out any thoughts suggesting Josh in bed with some girl. I still had a crush on him after all these years but once again it seemed that I lost to someone else. I'm walking away from the room, fighting tears when a voice stops me in my tracks.

"Seriously?" I hear Josh mutter annoyed as he nears his dorm room. My heart picks up speed, filling with happiness at the fact that it wasn't Josh inside but his roommate Drew. I chuckle as I continue to walk, at a slower pace this time, catching his attention.

"Hey Maya" he says as he catches up behind me. "What are you doing in my neck of the woods?" he asks curiously as he sticks his hands in the pouch of his hoodie. He's wearing a pair of athletic shorts and Nike's, he was no doubt working out.

"Couldn't sleep" I shrug as I run my fingers through my hair. "What are you doing up?" I ask as I glance up at him.

"Working out helps relieve my stress. Exams suck" he adds annoyed, "of course I was planning on getting back to my dorm for some sleep but apparently Drew has decided he needs to get some every night of the week."

"I'm sorry but I gotta admit I was a little relieved that it wasn't you in your room" I blush making him chuckle as he glances over at me with a smile.

"Oh yea? Why's that?" he asks playfully.

"I don't know" I shrug. "You're my best friend's uncle. It'd be a little weird to hear you having sex" I add as I look down at the ground, averting my eyes from his.

"I suppose that would be a little weird" he agrees with a soft laugh. "But are you sure that's the only reason?" he asks seriously.

"Of course it is" I say unconvincingly even to my ears as he grabs my arm making me spin to face him.

"Maya come on, you can't lie to me" he replies making me sigh as I avert my eyes to the ground once more.

"It doesn't matter. You're my best friend's uncle, you're a good friend to me and you'll never be more. I've come to terms with it."

"Without even asking me?" he asks confused as he tugs my arm making me step closer to him.

"Asking you would've just sped up the inevitable" I sigh as I glance back up at him.

"You're right" he says after taking a deep breath. "I would've already done this a long time ago" he adds and suddenly he pulls me against him and his lips land on mine. I don't know what to do. I freeze in place as Josh pulls back. "I'm sorry. Did I just misread that whole thing?"

"No" I stutter as I find my voice. "You just surprised me" I admit as a smile pulls at his lips. "Why did you kiss me?"

"Because you've always been more than Riley's friend Maya. I like you" he admits making my heart flutter.

"I like you too" I reply happily as we start walking again. We walk in a comfortable silence all the way back to my dorm, until we reach my door.

"You should get some sleep" he says as I nod in agreement.

"Probably but I need something first" I smirk as I lean forward and press my lips to his and this time both of us move our lips together perfectly in sync. When we pull away I turn the doorknob and take a step into the room. "Night Josh."

"Night Maya" he replies sweetly before letting me slip into my room and close the door. I take off my robe and kick off my slippers before collapsing into bed. I lay my head down on the pillow and close my eyes as memories of tonight flash across my mind and this time I fall asleep without a problem.