The Perfect Pumpkin

Maya's POV

"Are you coming pumpkin picking this weekend?" Riley asks as the two of us head towards the front doors of the school. I shrug as I push open the door.

"I don't know. Aren't we a little old for the pumpkin farm?" I ask as we walk towards her car. She unlocks the door and we climb in beside one another.

"Oh come on" she smiles brightly. "It'll be fun" she insists while putting the key in the ignition. "Plus, Josh will be there" she adds, a smile pulling from the corners of her lips. My head whips around towards in shock.

"What?"

She chuckles, shaking her head in amusement. "So you'll come?" she asks expectantly. I sigh, leaning back in my seat.

"I'm in."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"Aw look at this one" Riley exclaims, holding up a small pumpkin, it looks to be about the size of a Magic 8 Ball.

"Riles what will you even do with that?" I laugh. "It's not even big enough to carve."

"I found mine" Josh exclaims as he comes towards us carrying a pumpkin that's larger than my head. I chuckle, shaking my head at the two Matthews in front of me.

"So, you" I point to Riley, "want a pumpkin that's too small to even be considered an actual pumpkin." I turn to Josh, "and you want one that will take up your entire dorm" I laugh.

"Not the entire thing" he shrugs. "Where's your pumpkin gorgeous?"

"Haven't found one yet. Wanna help me?" I ask hopefully. He smiles, nodding his head.

"I'd love to" he replies sweetly. "Riles you gonna be okay?" he checks with his niece.

"Riley" Auggie shouts making Josh chuckle.

"Nevermind" he smiles. The three of us split apart and Josh and I head off to find me the perfect pumpkin. "So. Any preferences?" he asks, sticking his hands in his pockets.

"One that's a good combination of yours and Riley's" I reply. He nods in understanding.

"Alright. Well I think there are some over there that are about the size you're looking for" he says. "Come on" he insists, motioning his head for me to follow him. "So" he smiles as we stroll through the patch side by side. "How's college?" he asks curiously.

"It's alright" I shrug. "I'm glad I decided to live at home" I admit.

"I heard about that" he nods. "Is there a specific reason?" he asks curiously.

"Well" I sigh, maneuvering around a smashed pumpkin. "My parents haven't been married very long and I'm sorta enjoying having Shawn around" I admit with a soft smile.

"I guess that makes sense. Most people go to college to get away from their parents because they've dealt with them for eighteen years but you haven't really had that" he reasons.

"Mhm" I nod. "What about you? How are classes going?"

"They suck" he admits with a chuckle. "I can't wait until school is over" he sighs, kicking at a small pumpkin causing it to roll a few inches away.

"I've only been there for a year but I totally agree" I sigh, rubbing my hands down my arms. He smiles as he shrugs out of his jacket.

"Here" he says, holding it out for me.

"Oh" I giggle. "No I'm okay" I insist, shaking my head.

"You're lying" he argues, shaking the jacket in front of me. "It doesn't have to mean anything sweetheart but I won't have you freezing to death on your journey to find the perfect pumpkin."

I giggle at his wording. "Okay" I give with a wide smile. "Thank you" I murmur as I take the jacket and pull it on. Immediately I'm enveloped in his scent of laundry detergent and peppermint.

"How about this one?" he asks, pointing to one on our right. I follow his gaze and shake my head.

"No" I sigh. "That's still too big."

"Okay" he says, gazing around. "What about?" he asks as he hops over a pile of small pumpkins and makes his way towards a lone pumpkin that's about the size of a bowling ball. A smile pulls at my lips.

"That's perfect" I exclaim. He picks it up and begins bringing it towards me but he trips over a vine and falls to the ground taking the pumpkin with him. "Oh my god" I exclaim as I run over to him. "Josh."

"Shit" he mutters as he sits up and brushes off his jeans that are now coated in a thin layer of dirt. The pumpkin I wanted is now in pieces beside him, seeds scatteted everywhere.

"Are you okay?" I ask quickly as I kneel in front of him.

"Your pumpkin" he mutters making me chuckle as I look around at the mess.

"It's okay" I assure him. "I'm more worried about you. Are you okay?" I ask softly, brushing his hair back from his eyes.

He stares up at me through his eyelashes and my heart speeds up. "I still like you" he confesses causing my eyes to widen in shock. "I know it's been a while but-."

I cut him off by pressing my lips to his in a soft kiss. He lifts his hand to cup my cheek while his tongue slips into my mouth. When we finally pull apart a chuckle falls from his lips.

"What?" I ask confused and suddenly self-conscious.

"Nothing" he insists. "There's just-" he chuckles as he reaches up and brushes dirt off my cheek. "I got some dirt on you" he smiles softly.

"Oh" I murmur. "So it's okay that I kissed you?" I ask hopefully with fear of rejection bubbling up inside me.

"It's beyond okay gorgeous" he assures me causing my heart to swell. "I'm still sorry about your pumpkin. It was perfect."

"Who needs a pumpkin when I have you?" I ask with a smile. "By the way I'm keeping the jacket."

He laughs as he brings his hand back up to my cheek. "It looks better on you anyway" he shrugs before leaning back in to kiss me.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

A/N: The first two chapters of my teen fiction book, The Deal are up now 😊 If you go read leave a heart emoji in the comments so I know you came from here ❤