The Reason for Snowball Fights

Josh's POV

One of the worst parts about living in New York was living in New York in the midst of a snow storm. It was Friday night and I was trying to get to my brother's house for dinner but the traffic was awful. I tap my fingers against my steering wheel impatiently, leaning back in my seat. 

Suddenly, my ringtone blares through the Bluetooth in my car and I smile when a certain blonde's name stares back off the screen. "Hey gorgeous" I greet her as I accept the call. 

"It's not our six weeks Boing" she scolds but I roll my eyes. In less than three weeks she'd be eighteen and the six week rule we made years back wouldn't matter anymore. "Anyway, Matthews is going nuts because you aren't here yet and he wanted me to check that you were still alive and not in a ditch somewhere. Can I confirm that you're alive?"

I laugh. "Yea go ahead."

"Great. Hey Matthews, he's alive" she shouts and I shake my head in amusement. "Anyway, when are you going to be here because it is Friday night and I have tons of plans" she adds sarcastically. 

I smirk. "Well sweetheart if you want to go out and have fun without me then go right ahead but remember we are connected on find your friends" I remind her. If she went anywhere tonight I'd be sure to hunt her down to get at least ten minutes with her before I have to drive back to campus. 

"Would you really come find me?" 

"Of course" I answer immediately. "You can't possibly think I care that much about my laundry" I add with a chuckle. It was the front I used in order to get away with visiting my brother every week without questioning. Of course, they all knew how I felt about Maya but they also knew that we weren't making any further moves in our relationship until next month. 

"Are you implying that you only come all the way down to Greenwich to see me?" she asks while the chatter in the background drowns out. The car in front of me starts to move and I adjust in my seat to move a whole five feet. 

"I mean, I love my family but seeing you is certainly a bonus" I reply honestly. "How was school today?" I ask, changing the subject. She groans. 

"It sucks. I can't wait for break next week" she adds and I nod in understanding. I was already on break but I could relate. I was dying before exams. 

"Maybe we could do something" I suggest. "Nothing too coupley but maybe a movie or something."

"You want to go on a date?"

"Um yea" I laugh. "Why do you act so surprised? I can't wait until next month when I can show you off to everyone....unless of course you've changed your mind" I add worriedly. I bring my bottom lip between my teeth, gnawing on it restlessly while I await her response. 

"No, no. Of course I haven't, it's just weird to think that I'll actually be your-."

"Girlfriend" I cut her off. "Weird in the best way" I smile as traffic moves forward yet again and I finally make it onto a three lane road, opening up the road in front of me. "I'll see you soon gorgeous."

"See you soon Boing" she agrees before we hang up and I carefully speed towards the loft. 

***********************************************************************************************

When I get to the building I park on the street and skip up the snow covered steps, buzzing the loft. "This is Riley" my niece says and I chuckle, rubbing my hands together to keep warm. 

"It's your uncle. Buzz me up" I instruct, pressing the button with a trembling finger. 

"One second" she replies before the door buzzes open and I let out a breath of relief as I grab it and walk up the stairs to the second floor. They were one of two lofts on the second (and last) floor and the building. Ava's family was in the loft next door. 

I knock on the door and Auggie opens it with a broad smile on his face. "Hey Uncle Josh" he greets me and I laugh. It was becoming obvious that my nephew was entering into his teenage years as his greetings towards me changed. It used to be extreme excitement and jumping into my arms and now it was a simple 'hey.' By the time the girls would be finishing college he would be a full fledged teenager which would certainly be interesting considering his relationship with Ava. I prayed for my brother's sanity. 

"Josh get in here, it's simply freezing outside" Topanga says causing Auggie to move out of the way and allow me to walk in. "How was traffic? We were worried sick."

"It was jam-packed but alright and I made it here in one piece so" I trail off, shrugging off my jacket as the girls make their way down the steps, deep in conversation. "Hey Maya" I greet the gorgeous blonde. 

"Josh" she smirks, walking towards the dinner table. I purse my lips. I wonder what Riley had run upstairs to talk to Maya about when she found out I was here. 

"Come on. Let's eat" Auggie insists, brushing past me towards the table. I stuff my hands into my pockets and follow after him, taking my usual spot beside Maya. She glances over at me while everyone is passing dishes across the table. 

"Meet me on the roof later" she instructs. Despite my confusion I nod my head and a smile tugs at her lips. I wonder what she had planned. 

***********************************************************************************************

After I help my sister-in-law with the dishes I head upstairs where Maya had gone just a while ago. Slowly, I push open the door to the roof and step out into the bitter cold but I don't see Maya. All there is, is a fresh coat of snow and the sound of the wind whipping around the city. 

"Maya?" I ask, moving towards the edge of the roof. I lean carefully over the ledge and that's when a cold, hard block of snow hits the back of my neck. "Holy s-." I cut myself off as I turn and find Maya smirking, holding up another snowball. "What are you doing?"

"What? You don't like snowball fights?" she asks, throwing her snowball into the air before catching it. 

"I-I didn't say that" I stutter, staring at her in utter confusion. "I just don't understand why-."

Another snowball come hurtling at me but this time I clearly see her throw it and I jump out of the way making the snow hit the wall and burst into a cloud of snow. "Do we need a reason?" she asks giddily and I chuckle, shrugging my shoulders. 

"I suppose not" I concede, balling up snow while she rushes to do the same and soon enough we're in a full fledged fight, hurtling snowball after snowball at one another. It's not until she starts stepping closer that I decide a distraction may be the perfect way to put an end to the fight. 

She's within my reach as she pulls her hand back to throw another ball at me but I grab her waist, taking her by surprise and causing her to drop the snow onto the ground while her frozen blue eyes stare back into mine. "What are you doing?"

"Something I've wanted to do for years" I murmur, leaning down to press my lips against hers. A soft gasp tumbles from her lips before they close over mine and she kisses me back gently. I caress her cheek and she shivers underneath my cold fingertips but doesn't pull away. Her lips part, allowing me to deepen the kiss and I use my other hand to pull her closer to me. Her hands press against my chest, rising up to my neck and it's my turn to shiver under her cold touch. "Maybe we should take this inside" I whisper, pulling away just enough to speak. 

"I make great hot chocolate" she replies and I smile, staring lovingly into her eyes. 

"I'll warm up the fireplace."

"Sounds perfect" she murmurs, pecking my lips before we head downstairs to warm up.