five

I felt a prod on my side. Groaning, I opened my eyes only to find a black cat staring at me.

"Come on, Rooksplash," Cherryrain whispered, "Let's go escape."

I press my ears against my skull. How early was it? "Cherryrain," I mumbled in response, "You know the punishment for escaping."

The black cat shook her head. "I need to risk that," she continued, "Please, Rook, please."

"You can go, I'm not coming with you," I growl, putting my tail over my nose again. Cherryrain hissed, digging her claws into the sandy ground.

"You're coming with me," she said firmly, it sounding like an order, "I can't go anywhere without you."

"Since when did I listen to you?" I look up again, narrowing my eyes.

"Since you met me, are you an idiot?" Cherryrain scoffed, "You've followed me everywhere."

"To protect you," I growl, lifting my head up, "You're always getting into trouble. If anything, you're the idiot here."

"Okay, maybe we're both stupid," the black cat twitched her tail, "If we're going to escape, we have to leave now."

"Fine, fine," I muttered, getting up and shaking my pelt out, "Don't get distracted by the butterflies again."

Cherryrain waved her tail out of embarrassment, "That was one time.."

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes, "So, how are we getting out of here?"

Cherryrain adjusted her posture so she could look into my eyes. "You'll see. Just be patient, Rookpaw."

I curse at her. "I'm a warrior!"

"Doesn't seem like it, honey," she laughed slightly, "What, you've only been a warrior for.... three moons?"

I curse again. Cherryrain quickly shushed me, which just made me want to claw her pretty face off.

-

I watch silently as Cherryrain dug out an old tunnel below our prison. I frown, why were tunnels here? Shaking my pelt again, I decide to trust Cherryrain— she seemed more sane today.

"Here," the cat glanced up, looking at me. I look back down to the tunnel, gulping. "You scared?" Cherryrain teased, "It's only a short walk, you'll be fine."

She bounds into the tunnel, her pawsteps echoing in the dark hall. I twitch my whiskers, and slowly start toward the exit.

Fact of the Day: Birdpaw is as straight as a rainbow