seven

Cherrypaw yelped as the claw scratched her face. Her mentor, father, pinned the she-cat down with a glare.

"Useless," Willowstep growled, circling his only kit; who whimpered in response, "Rainfern wasted her life on a horrible kit."

"I'll try to be stronger!" Cherrypaw said with all her strength, "I'll work harder— for Mother!"

"If you want to be helpful," her father hissed, "Go kill yourself."

And Cherrypaw was left alone.

-

"Cherryrain!" I yelped as quietly as possible, running toward the she-cat, "There's someone here!"

Cherryrain blinked, as though she was coming out of a trance. "Someone's... here?"

"Are you stupid?" I started, fur spiking up in annoyance, "Ugh— it's some random cat, it's fine, we'll out run them anyways."

"No witnesses," Cherryrain shook her head, golden eyes narrow, "No one; they told me no one."

She unsheathed her claws, tilting her head toward the sound of pawsteps. I stumbled backwards, eyes wide. Was she really.... was she really going to kill someone?

"R-Rooksplash?" I freeze as I hear the familiar high-pitched voice, "Cherryrain? Are you two d-down here?"

No.

I glance at Cherryrain, tail quivering in fear. She'd become a monster if she killed him. Would my view on her change? I couldn't tell.

The cat revealed themselves, and I inhale sharply— as my assumption was sadly correct. The black cat next to me growled, there seemingly no emotion in her eyes.

"No witnesses," she repeated slowly. The silver tom took a step back, eyes wide with fear. He shook his head, pleading with Cherryrain as she approached him.

"Cherryrain! Wait!" I yowl, but my paws are stuck to the ground. I couldn't watch this. I couldn't see this murder happen.

But I do nothing as Cherryrain slit Birdpaw's throat and allowed the body to shatter into stars.

Author's Note:
this, so far, was my favorite chapter to write

Fact of the Day: Birdpaw is physically ten moons old; mentally twenty-six