1

Have you ever met that someone who makes you feel better about your life because of how pitiful it is ? Say hello to me . The girl with the most terrible fate in the face of the earth. That was a tad bit exaggerating. 

Up until senior year in highschool, I never really lived or felt like my age . A teenager who was still trying to make through her life. Well, why don't we start from the beginning....

                    ......................................
I awoke early in the beautiful autumn morning with a hint of the ending summer season in the air. A reminder that it was indeed; the first day of school. I loved that time of day . It was a sign of hope and new beginnings. To be honest I was glad summer break was over. All I did was work several shifts day and night topping it with  endless paper work for extra credit. Trust me, I went all out for them after all I needed a scholarship for collage and a solid one at that.

Let me explain my situation before you question my sanity . What sort of teenager spends her summer like that? Me. Being the eldest of two and taking up most spots in a family; a father, mother and a loving sister at the same time be a normal teenager was alot in one plate. We were two girls , surviving alone in an old beat up but surprisingly strong house at the very end of a small town. Almost all responsibilities befell me. For the past three years, I worked myself tirelessly to bring food onto the table. Thank the Lord education was free or I would have been .... I don't even want to go there.

My grandpa passed away a year after my parents divorced. As if things could not get worse, my mother went though a mental break down forcing her to be admitted into hospital for good. We had no other close relatives to help us. So we were stuck alone. My dad had never called or made any  contact ever since the divorce . He did not seem to care about us. Well who needed him anyway...

At least I had my small sister, Riley. A middle school kid with the sharpest mind, witty and has a heart that is so loving. I'm not saying all that because we are siblings. She has helped me countless of times not to mention taking over most of the house chores and forsaking her fun time . I was glad and felt blessed to have her by my side.

So story of my life, it was still going on and was about to get more interesting and well... eventful. Even though I didn't know it that morning, I had an unsettling feeling that my life  something would happen that would change everything ... pshhh like I hadn't had enough.

I quickly got ready for the day, woke Riley up, said our goodbyes before heading out for my first shift at the Sweet Pie Inn before school.  A girl's got to do what she had to..
                        ....................................

I arrived at the inn just in time for opening.  The owner, Mr.Smith ,a grizzled old man who had the kindest of hearts, made an exception for me. Knowing my situation, he paid me for the short two and a half hours that I reworked there . Sure I did make it up to him during the weekend even though he would not fully approve of it by bringing in  temporary  waiters to help me out . He would often tell me that I worked too hard even though I did I couldn't help it . It is in my nature to push myself  till the end . That is the only way I would feel satisfied with myself . After all, I had to pay for everything from food to clothes, the hospital bills , electricity bills...the list keeps growing .

Which  was why I was planning on looking for another job. Hopefully well paying so that I could actually surface from the sea of bills that are pulling me down . I didn't  care if it would interfere with my school work .I'll juggle them and make it through  I know it.
I kept my job hunting a secret because I knew that if Mr.Smith got to know anything about it he would extend his generous hand which in as much as I needed and appreciated, I would be  too guilty to let myself do that to him .

The inn was as busy as ever ,being one of the few that actually opens at that time of day ... many would file into the booths and tables to have breakfast . I made sure not to serve students from my highschool. Reason being, I didn't  want recognition or anything similar to it. I didn't want to associate with small minded teenagers who had their life served for them by their parents . I avoid them so that I let them enjoy their little lives. Besides I had far more important  things to do than make  friends, especially  of the male species. I simply didn't  have time for that.

Which was why when I spotted a group of boys from my school, I immediately dodged them. Finding a table at the farthest possible point to serve . I'm not sure ,but I thought one of them recognised me. Never the less I did not have time to see through it  as the wall clock just chimed seven thirty . That took my concentration away from the boys . My substitute came in time to take my place. I bid good bye to Mr Smith who gave me a blueberry muffin knowing that I had no breakfast.  I smiled thankfully at him, grabbed my bag and headed off to my first day of senior year at Seaview High where all would take a turn ..