JAKE'S P.O.V 

"Go already you are gonna be late for last period." Kate pushed me slightly looking straight into my eyes trying to persuade me to leave. Too bad... I don't want to leave. Keep looking at me like that and I won't go anywhere...

Her fever had gone down after eating. You would think it had began because she was hungry. Not that I was complaining, I got to spend time with her and got to know the warm and kind Kate that she would normally desperately conceal.

For example, her house was full of antique and old stuff she didn't want to throw away because of the memories they held.
"Everyday when I look at them, I get hope for a better tomorrow... something my grandpa always said ...hope will always help you move on no matter how hard things may seem..." that was her answer when I asked why she didn't auction them since many old folks in town would love to have them. Her eyes held so much emotion which did not help my case, I was even more drawn to her than before.

"I'm not going back to school Muffin. Last period is Gym class and I already had enough exersice carrying you around... Hey that hurt you know!" I said rubbing my shoulder where she had punched.

"You deserve that. It's like you want a reward or something. I did not ask you to do it so deal with  the pain. I hope you cramp all week." Kate retorted punching me again.

"Careful, one more hit and you are going to regret it." But I won't. I said  suddenly  mischievous.

Kate laughed and said, her eyebrow arched, " and what are you going to do about it..."   she lifted her hand ready to punch but I stopped it right before it hit my chest. When she tugged her hand away I, I pulled her closer. Eyes boring into her now widened doey eyes, I decided to tease her a bit more. I drew closer not once blinking as my heart picked up that speed only meant as warning signs that I should stop...

It's too much fun to ...

Just then the telephone rang. Talk about nice timing ... Kate had remained frozen. Taking the opportunity. I pretended to be going for a kiss which was my actual intention... but decided that it wasn't the right time. Instead I whispered in her ear, making sure that my lips were as close to it as possible,

"The phone is ringing." I whispered for some reason my voice came out breathless.

Huh?" Kate whispered back still clueless with her warm bated breath fanning my cheek.

Okay this is clearly not good for your heart.

Overwhelmed by the situation that I created in the first place, I swallowed hard trying to master control over what I had been wanting to do ever since I met her.

Retreating to a safe distance I cleared my throat. "Pick up the it's been ringing for a while now." I smirked watching as realisation hit her her green eyes wide before running out of the room.

"Hello? This is the Watson's , may I know who I am speaking to. " I heard her voice still flustered and out of breath. I smirked satisfied of the effect I left on her.

Nah.... you are just happy you're not the only one flustered by what happened can you feel your face. Yeah... you are definately blushing..
Honestly sometimes I wonder weather my conscious and Brian ganged up on me.

Suddenly I felt a change in the mood. Kate's voice, as I approached her, had lost all the liveliness she had earlier... Coming into view, I saw her eyebrows furrow in worry. Whoever was on phone did not have good news...

                       ...............................

Still shocked, Kate put the phone back to it's hold. Her eyes distant, she leaned on the wall for support before giving in to gravity. Her hair covered her face as she hugged her knees. For a moment she seemed to have forgotten my presence. I contemplated on intervening her obvious despair of something I know she'd never tell anyone in a million years. As far as I had come to know her she had never intentionally given in or shown any sign of weakness. It was like whenever a crack formed on her protective wall she would cover it immediately.  Yes she still was a mystery that I found myself intrigued.

Hey! Hey! Focus! ... you are already in her house, seen her in this state why are you still standing there like some statue...

Getting a reality check from my conscious isn't the proudest of my moments especially when it was right. Sighing inwardly, I made my move ...

"Kate?...Hey is everything okay?"  Ofcourse  nothing was okay! "Who was that on phone? " I asked my eyes searching her crouched body looking for clues if any. I was curious but at the same time scared that my presence might not be as comforting to her as hers to me.

Next thing I know Kate was upright, her face unreadable. "I have to go." She blurted moving quickly towards the front door, grabbing her jacket, I managed to collect my thoughts before she disappeared.

Grabbing her by the wrist, she turned abruptly slightly annoyed. "Jake let me go I have  to be there now!" Her voice held such urgency that I contemplated on letting her go. Not now...

"Where are you going? I'll drive you there... it's  much quicker. " I insisted seeing her considering her options as her emarald eyes looked into mine. In that moment the Kate I knew wasn't on the surface. Saying that I was anxious of her response in those few seconds was an understatement.

"What about Seth?.." she asked. Bingo she has considered it that's all I need.

"Aunt Mil has an early shift today. I'll inform her . Let's go. " I grabbed her hand quickly before she changed her mind.

It was when I started the car engine when I realized... I have no idea where we are going...
I looked at Kate , " Uh... where are we going? "
For a moment I saw a tiny bit of smile before it disappeared.

"Hospital ... Sea View Hospital." She answered back to the expressionless face. She might have been good at hiding her feelings but her body gave away . Her eyes were filled with worry and all through the ten minute drive her eyes kept looking at her watch. Whoever was in the hospital was very important.

Believe me when I tell you I was dying to ask her who it was but having been in a similar situation before, I understood her more than anyone. Immediately we reached the hospital, Kate rushed out of the car wordlessly leaving me overflooded with curiosity. I looked for a parking spot as I dreaded the moment I had to walk into that same hospital where I lost everything at one point in my life.

Clenching and unclenching the wheel, I took in deep breaths trying to convince my body to get out and be next to Kate. With such perfect timing, aunt Mil called.

"Jake where are you?" Aunt Mil's voice sounded  worried.

"Relax aunt there is nothing to worry..."

"Nonsense ofcourse there is. Kate's  mother has just been transferred to the hospital after a seizure ."

"Wait... I'm sorry. Kate's mom?" Realization washed through me as I remembered the conversation I overheard Aunt Mil and Kate the day before.

"Yes and I'm afraid she wouldn't find out. We only have her home telephone number. " Aunt Mil continued.

"She knows. I just drove her to the hospital. I'm at the parking lot as we speak. I have to go . I'll explain everything later.  Please  take care of Seth for me ..."

"Seth is with me already. Jake ... are you sure you can go in after..."

"That  doesn't matter now. She needs someone to be there for her and that's gonna be me . Don't worry about it. "

Just like that I felt a rush of adrenaline. I am not going to leave her not now not ever.

                                     ....................

Hi guys😄... long time no?
I hope you like the chapter ....

😘