14

Silence engulfed us and I felt guilty for being the cause of it. I swallowed. Five seconds had been over a century ago yet I could not bring myself to tell him that. How could I let my mouth slip! You were not supposed to pry remember? I mentally kicked myself .

I finally spoke and it felt like my voice was distant, " Jake...you don't have to answer that . I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked." I looked at him expectantly . His jaws were clenched and the smile that lit up his face was long gone. The silence was painful. I thought that I couldn't bare anymore of it when he finally spoke.

"They are no longer in this world. " His voice was so distant and quiet that I had to move a little closer to hear him.

"I'm so sorry ... Jake..." I was in loss of words. I didn't know what to say exactly. I wanted to comfort him tell him how great he has managed all along. I didn't know where such feelings came from when a little while ago , we were on our necks arguing.

"You don't have to be. It's not your fault. Besides it's been four years since they died. I've been moving on . I also got the best thing right with me.." He looked down at the kids gesturing that the 'best thing ' was indeed Seth. Then I did something that shocked both of us. I hugged him. I hugged Jake Cliffrode. It felt like an impulse , the right thing to do. I had so much I wanted to tell him but I didn't know how . The hug seemed to have said it all.
At first I felt Jake had tensed when my arms engulfed him but then relaxed into them when he realized my intention.

You are so great with him... I wanted to say but it seemed that the weather had something else in store. We had been so busy to notice the heavy dark clouds wrapping up the little sunlight that was left.
The rain came down heavily not even giving us time to carry ourselves to shelter. In three minutes I was completely soaked , drenched and shivering. Jake and I quickly ran down hill to rescue the kids from future colds and fever. They, on the other hand, had lost all interest of the park and were playing with the rain. Good God! They did not make it easy for us to catch them so by the time we got into the car, 'soaked' could not even make up for it.

Jake quickly switched on the heater helping us warm and dry up. I was both shocked and impressed when he told me he had towels in the glove compartment together with some of Seth's shirts . I passed them to the kids and a towel to Jake only to realize that there were no more left. Sour luck !
The sweater I had worn clung onto my body like second skin. My hair was stuck on my face and neck making me uncomfortable. Good thing Jake's car seats were already secured with a waterproof colorless material . It looked like it was ready for anything. Except an extra towel ofcourse!
I felt something dumped on my head . It was a semi-dry towel. Jake looked at me his humorously.

"Use it. You need it more than I do. I just dried my hair with it and since I had a leather jacket I can survive . You on the other hand ..." He said this whilst taking his jacket off to reveal his avocado coloured shirt that was drying up due to the heater. He trailed his eyes down my body to emphasize how wet I was when suddenly they settled on something. His eyes where now as dark as the clouds . I looked down at what he was looking and slightly annoyed by it when I realized , my usual big baggy sweater was not doing a good job covering up my Oh so blessed chest. The fact that it was a v- neck and I had nothing but a bra in there did not make things more ....revealing.

My cheeks heated up as I quickly covered my chest with the towel. As a reflex I looked at Jake only to see his ears bright red as he had turned to hide his expression.
The heat helped ... because I could feel it radiating out of my body drying up my clothes.

I turned back to pay more attention to the forgotten kids that were yapping at the back completely changed. I took a paper bag from the glove compartment and stuffed the wet clothes in it. It looked like the rain had made the kids even more hyper than they were already.

As we waited for the rain to stop , since it wasn't even clear outside, Jake switched on the radio and the kids sang along to some music I had no idea of. I did not pay much attention to music when I had so many things to juggle in my daily routine. All the while we were in an awkward silence. Both of us too embarassed to speak.
I finally got myself semi-dry when the rain stopped just as abruptly as it came.

Jake switched on the engine and we drove into the night. The streets were dark with only the streetlight to illuminate it. The roads were empty so we did not get traffic Thank the Lord or I ... meaning my stomach wouldn't take it . I hadn't eaten since the day before due to my depression that was lurking at the back of my mind reminding me that this was just a short bliss. I had so much waiting for me to do.

I cupped my face to hide the threatening tears that were about to fall when I heard mischevious Alec ask,"So.... what did you guys when you were alone? "

I laughed at how he said it wiggling his eyebrows daring me to say it. I had to admit he sometimes did not sound like a four year old I mean ... I had proof.

"We played a game and Mr. Cheater here cheated ." I said glaring mockingly at Jake who's mouth had stretched slightly.

"Oh.." Alec said sounding disappointed. It was not what he was expecting . To be honest I did not know what he thought we were doing.

On the other hand , Seth looked interested as he asked. "What kind of game ? Was it one that he made up ?" He asked .

"Yes ! How did you know? "

"He always does that and some of them are really lame. " This came from Alec who had recovered from his little world of mischief.
Seth agreed and that brought life in the car as the kids and I sided against Jake who tried to defend himself.

In the end he was a sour loser .

"I'm beginning to think that none of you guys love me..." He began saying before Seth interrupted.

"Don't say that you know we love you , " I awed inwardly at them proud of Jake for being such a great dad.

"Hey.. muffin.." He said looking at me from the corner of his eye chuckling at my annoyed expression. I hated that name now more than ever when I was very hungry .... a muffin sounded... yummy.

"Is your sister waiting for you tonight or..." He paused rounding a corner into a cosy looking neighbourhood with middle class houses.
"Nop... Riley's at her friend's house doing a school project . I guess I'm stuck alone ." I said. Blast! Why did you say that? .. It was probably the hunger talking.

"It's settled then you are having dinner with us tonight. " He said as the kids whooped at the back.

Despite myself I protested, "What? Is that how you invite me for dinner? I don't remember agreeing to it? " I huffed . I disliked people making decisions for me .
"C'mon relax ,will you? Besides you are going to enjoy it . It's not gonna take long anyway... We're here." He announced, slowly parking his car infront of a two-storey house that even from the outside looked cosy.

"Welcome to the Andersons.." He said . If I thought my day had had enough if surprises,it was far from the truth...

.....................
Hello love,
😄 Two in one week after a long time. How about that?
Thank you all for reading...
Don't forget to drop a comment and vote if you liked it ... or if yoi didn't 😅
What do you think of Kake?
And have an awesome day where ever you are ....😚

😛Cherry🍒