Chapter 1

Today was the day. The day that'd I'd be getting on a plane and moving to live with my uncle and cousin who live in Forks, Washington. I've been wanting to move for a while now. My parents divorced when I was young, and my mom had to move because of work. She doesn't want me to be home alone all the time—I just turned 16 a few months ago. I told my uncle and my mother that I didn't want to move in the middle of the school year, so that's why I was boarding a plane at 7:30 am a week after school ended.

The plane landed. Before I left, my uncle called and said Bella would be picking me up from the airport. That she had an old orange truck.

It was a nice, sunny day with few clouds in the sky. I saw Bella leaning against her truck talking on the phone. "I'll call you later, my cousin just landed."

She slid her phone into her back pocket and engulfed me in her arms, hugging me tightly. "I've missed you so much!"

She and I were like sisters. We were both an only child and would be around each other constantly when we were kids.

"It feels like forever," I said in an exhausted voice.

"You can toss your luggage in the back," She said and walked around to the driver's side.

After dumping my suitcase in the back, I opened the door and hopped in. Once I had buckled, Bella started to drive.

Most of the ride was silent. The air conditioning spoke more than we did.

"Is it always this sunny here?" I asked.

We drove into a neighborhood with a lot of trees. It was as if the woods were the houses' backyard.

Bella smiled and shook her head. "Not really. Most of the time it's cloudy or raining."

I nodded and kept looking out the window.

The house was how I remembered it. Two stories, a bay window on the left, white horizontal paneling, and a single car garage. It was the only stable environment, other than my grandparent's house, but they passed away a few years back.

"Charlie is still at the station. He'll be back around sunset." Bella said as we get out of the truck.

I grabbed my suitcase from the bed of the truck and followed her to the front door. The inside hasn't changed, either. Old family photos with Renée hang on the walls and sat on the bookshelves, a few school portraits of Bella are included. There was even a photo of us making silly faces when we were five and seven.

"Here follow me," Bella said, walking up the wooden steps. "This is your room."

She opened the door to reveal a room with a queen-size bed in the middle with a side table to the left of it. A window was to the right of the bed, a dresser to the left of the door, and another window on the wall across the bed. There was a closet next to it. The walls were beige and could use a fresh coat. It is just a simple guest bedroom.

"I like it," I said with a smile. It felt like home. I set my suitcase down on the bed.

A knock came from the front door.

"I'll get it. You can stay up here and unpack." She said and left.

I did just that. It didn't take long, mostly putting clothes in the dresser and a couple of hang-ups in the small closet. Moving house using a plane didn't give many options to hoard. At least it promised a fresh start. The last thing I unpacked was a framed photo of my mom and me when I was eight. We were dancing after I had just gotten new a dress. She was spinning me around, both of us laughing and singing along to the music.

I placed the frame on the dresser.

"Lillian, come down I want to introduce you to someone!" I hear Bella call.

I walked out of the room and down the stairs to find her standing with an unusually pale man. I smiled, being my friendly self.

"Lillian this is my boyfriend, Edward. Edward this is my cousin, Lillian. She's living with us for a while."

Edward smiled showing his white teeth. "Hello, it's nice to meet you. I've heard a lot about you." He said reaching out his hand for me to shake.

I shook it. "Hi, nice to meet you, too."

His hands were freezing, like ice sickles. He withdrew his hand back to his side.

Edward had light brown hair that was styled up but didn't have any noticeable spray or gel. His eyes appeared golden. A casual, basic fashion, just like the boys back home. The only odd was his long-sleeved shirt. It was warm outside, yet he was wearing that. Maybe he just gets sunburnt easily.

"I'm going to take Bella to my house, you are welcomed to join us," Edward said.

I should probably go so I'm not here alone. "Uh, yeah. Sounds nice."

A black Volvo waited outside. Edward opened the doors for us, what a chivalrous and old-fashioned thing to do. We both thanked him and got in.

"So what brings you to Forks?" He asked.

"My mom moved jobs and thought it'd be a good idea that I lived with my uncle and cousin."

Edward nodded. We drove deep into the woods.