Chapter 17

It'd been a couple days since I was attacked by my father. Yesterday, I noticed there was a bruise in the shape of his hand around my neck and another on the left side of my stomach from when I hit the tree. They were starting to go away, but for the time being, I'd been using my foundation to cover it up.

I planned to move out of Charlie's and move in with Sam and Emily. I didn't want Bella and Charlie to get hurt because of me. It was better for everyone if I just left. I had a couple ideas, but nothing stable. I could do something really bad, making Charlie furious, causing him to kick me out. I could get in a "fight" with Bella. That was pretty much it. I didn't really want to leave on bad terms with any of them, so I pretty much planned to just run away.

"Have you talked to Charlie about it?" Emily asked me.

I'm sat at the kitchen table while she prepared sandwiches for the pack. "Not yet. I don't know what I'd tell him. I can't just say, hey my brother is Sam Uley and I need to move out to keep you guys safe from my father who is out to kill me."

Emily let out a laugh. "You could always ask your mom to explain to him about your situation."

"And let her tell Charlie about him being a werewolf?" I asked completely confused.

"No, have her explain to him about Sam being your brother and her wanting you to live with him" She said, finishing the last sandwich.

"Live with who's brother?" Jared asked, walking into the house. He was followed by Quil, Embry, Paul, Seth, Leah and Sam.

"Nothing." I said before Emily could say the truth. Sam hadn't told the pack about us being half siblings. I guess he hadn't found the right time. Then again, they had been patrolling because of my father being in town.

"I made sandwiches!" Emily beamed, holding up a large white plate loaded with sandwiches. The boys' eyes lit up at the sight of food. Leah smiled and rolled her eyes at them. They always ate like they hadn't eaten in years.

"How's Jacob?" I asked Sam as he walked over to Emily.

"He's fine. He was asking about you. Wants you to visit him." Sam says.

I nod. "I'll go over there later today."

Lately, Sam had been really protective. I wasn't complaining because I needed protection, but he started to get overprotective. Even though we hadn't known each other for long, he took the big brother, overly protective role seriously.

"How are you going to get there?" Sam asked.

I grabbed a sandwich. "Walk." I replied, then took a bite.

"No. I can't let you walk by yourself to Jacob's. Especially if you take your shortcut," he said. "Embry can take you."

Embry's head popped up and the room went silent. You could hear a pin drop.

"What?" We asked at the same time.

"You heard me. Embry will take you." Sam restated.

"Nice. I get to drop off the crazy wolf girl at the crazy wolf boy's house." Embry joked. A couple of the guys let out laughs. I rolled my eyes as they continued cracking jokes.

"So are you and Jacob a thing?" Embry asked as we took the shortcut to Jake's house.

"What makes you think we're a thing?" I asked him.

He shrugged. "You guys seem to hang out a lot. He's protective about you, Lillian. You guys can't stay away from each other."

When we got to the edge of the woods, Embry stopped and watched me walk up to Jacob's house. I guess Sam told him to watch my every move and make sure I got there safely. "Bye Embry." I waved. The tan, scrawny boy waved back with a smile, then disappeared into the forest. I walked up the ramp and to the front door and knocked.

"Hello, Lillian." Billy smiled, opening the door.

"Hello." I smiled back.

"Come on in. Jacob is in his room." He said, wheeling himself back to the living room.

"Okay, thank you," I said and walked past him to Jacob's room. I opened the door to find the same shirtless mess lounging on his bed with his chest and arm wrapped.

"Hey." He smiled.

"Hi." I close the door behind me. "How's your arm?"

"It's getting better." He said, looking at it. I felt some sort of tension in the air. Like we're both thinking of something that's forbidden. I brushed some hair behind my ear.

His eyes widen. "Oh, my God, Lilly." He gasped.

"What?" I asked, getting nervous.

"Your neck. It's bruised." He said, a tinge of anger spread through his voice.

"Yeah, about that." I trailed on. "I don't remember if you were there when that happened." I glanced at my feet.

"Yet you didn't tell me?" He asked, concerned.

"I didn't think it was important," I said.

"Of course, it's important," he said, "He hurt you."