Chapter 10

I picked up the house phone and called my old home. The phone rang before going to voicemail. I hung up and sighed.

"Bella," I said, walking into her room.

She turned in her desk chair to face me.

"Can I borrow your truck?"

Her eyebrows knit together. "Sure, why?"

"Thanks," I said, taking her keys and ignoring her question. Walking down the wooden stairs and out the front door, the absence of Charlie's car greeted me. Thank god he isn't home or I wouldn't be able to follow through with my mission. Climbing in Bella's old red-orange truck, clicking the buckle, the engine revved. I was off.

With the lack of a driver's license, I paid close attention to the speed limit and turn signals more than I normally would.  The modern mansion materialized. I turned off the truck and hopped out. As I was getting ready to knock, Alice opens the door.

"Hello, Lillian," She greeted with a smile.

"Is Edward here?" I ask. "I think he is in his room. Come in." She opened the door, stepping to the side. "I'll go get him," she said, dancing away. I waited with my hands in my jacket pocket.

Alice came back. "He isn't home, but is there anything I could do to help?" She asked.

Would it be illegal to ask her about the cold ones? Did Alice know about Edward being a vampire?

"I was just going to ask Edward some questions."

Alice motioned for me to sit on the couch next to her. "Ask away."

"Well, uh...I know about Edward being a vampire and I was wondering what happened to Bella's arm."

"It's a long story, but I'm guessing you have time?" She asked.

I nodded.

"This vampire, James, wanted to drink Bella's blood last year. She went to the place he told her to meet him at in attempt to save her mother. It was a trick. He ended up biting her. Edward tried to stop it from happening, but sadly, he was too late. Edward sucked the venom out of her system so she wouldn't change. He almost killed her in the process." Alice finished.

"The place had mirrors in it right?" I asked.

"Yes."

I saw almost everything in my dream. Edward saved Bella's life. She would be dead if it weren't for him.

"My grandpa use to tell me stories about the cold ones and the shape-shifters. He said that vampires had gifts. Is that true?" I asked.

Alice chuckled. "Yes. Edward can read minds, I can see into the future, Rosalie has extreme beauty, Emmett has strength, Jasper can feel and manipulate people's emotions, Carlisle has compassion and Esme has passion." Alice whispered as if it were a secret that was life threatening to break.

"Can you not see the past?"

Alice shook her head. "Unfortunately."

"She doesn't know why your mother sent you here and none of us have gifts to help you." Edward's voice plays into my ears, making me jump. "I'm sorry, Lillian. Charlie might know why." He adds.

"It's okay. I was just wondering," I said. "I'll just go." I stood up.

"It was nice talking to you," Alice said, standing up to give me a quick hug.

"You, too." I smiled and left.

~

Destination number two: Jacob's house. I hopped out of the truck, and noticed the garage door was open. I almost slipped in a patch of mud. "Woah." I whispered to myself. The bottom of my feet tingle, sensing my near fall.

"Hey, Jake." I smiled as I walked into the warm garage. He was still working on a bike.

"Hi, Lilly." He smirked, tightening something.

The butterflies appeared in my stomach. "I'm starting to question my mom's intentions for sending me to Forks."

He set down the wrench, giving me his full attention. "I thought she moved because of her job and didn't want you to be home alone all the time," he said.

I sat next to him and propped my elbows on my knees, resting my chin in the palm of my hands. "That's what I thought, too. But it feels like she sent me here for a different reason."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know." I sigh. I thought for a moment, Jacob's eyes still glued to me. "What if she knew you and Edward lived here? What if she wanted me to know more about the legends my grandpa would tell?"

"I think you're overthinking again, Lils." His newest nickname flowed between his lips perfectly.

"Probably."

I rested my head on his burning shoulder. He was wearing a loose tank with jeans. His tattoo showed proudly. We sat like this for a few minutes before Jacob spoke.

"You'll figure it out."

I raised my head, our eyes meeting. "I'm just hoping I was overthinking things."

"You should call her and ask. She might tell you if there was a different reason."

I sighed and closed my eyes. "I've tried. She didn't pick up."

Growing up, my mom and I were close—closer than a normal mother would be with her daughter. We never kept things from each other, but I was starting to doubt. Had she kept a detrimental secret?