Chapter 8

"Do you know if your grandpa was a
shape-shifter?" Embry asked as we arrived at Emily's.

We were all drenched from the pouring rain, but I guess I'm the only one who cared.

"I don't know if he was or not." I said with a shrug.

A shiver buzzed my shin from my cold clothes. We sat on the couch in the living room.

"Why did you all deny what I saw in the woods?" I asked.

They were all quiet.

"It's a tribe thing. We can't tell other people," Paul said.

"Way to go Jacob," Embry mumbled under his breath.

Jacob rolled his eyes. "She told me that she knew about the Quileute tribe."

"I just wish you would've told me, not showed me."

"You phased in front of her?" Sam asked, straightening his spine.

"How else would she believe me?"

"I feel like she's pretty gullible." Embry mumbled.

"Hey!" I gasped.

Embry put his hands up in surrender.

"Well now that you know, it should be easier for you to come around. We are all a pack, the only people who aren't shifters are you and Emily," Sam said. "You should probably go now. It's getting late."

Next to me, a muffled snore came from Jacob.

"Paul and Embry are in the guest room. You can sleep where ever." Sam got up and left, turning the light off.

I grabbed a blanket that was left on the coffee table and snuggle under it, still sat in the dark next to Jake. The occasional flicker of lightning flashed through the windows followed by a clap of thunder. It was always storming.

I curled up in a ball with my head laying on the arm of the couch and my feet towards Jacob. Closing my eyes, I listened to the rain pattering on the windows.

~

An echoing boom shook the house. Rain pelted the glass, lightning struck every minute, causing me to jump as the thunder crackled.

"Can't sleep?" Jacob asked. His voice was soft and raspy.

"Did I wake you?" I tried to see him through the dark.

The blanket ruffles. "No."

Another strike of light and crackle. I jumped.

"Come here," he said, opening his arms.

I crawled over to him, lying down, resting my head on his chest. "Is being warm a wolf thing?" My voice muffled in his shirt.

"Yeah." He mumbled, sleep coating his words.

I smiled and let myself drift while he gently stroked my hair.

~

"Look at the lovebirds."

I kept my eyes closed, listening to Jake's heartbeat. It had a relaxing rhythm to it; calm and soothing.

"Shh, they're sleeping." Their footsteps become distant.

The floor creaked ever-so-often, signaling people were moving about. I willed my eyes shut, wanting to drift back to sleep, but sadly the sunshine was too bright for that to happen. Something held me down—Jacob's arms wrapped around my waist. Since when did this happen? When did I fall asleep with Jake? Oh well, there's no hurt in laying here for just a few more minutes.

~

I felt safe in his arms. It's like nothing can hurt me, like nothing else in the world matters, like it's just me and him. Lillian what are you thinking? You can't feel like that! We're just friends...good friends. Not even that! Get a grip on yourself woman! You're arguing with yourself in your head over whether you should feel some way about some guy! What has gotten into you? Maybe you should take a walk. Clear your head and breathe. Oh no! You didn't tell Bella or Charlie that you were spending the night at Jake's! Okay, talking to yourself really needs to stop. This is just getting out of hand.

"Morning." Jacob thankfully took me out of my thoughts.

"Morning." I sat up and walked to the kitchen.

Leah, Embry, Paul, Seth, Sam and Emily are eating muffins and talking amongst themselves. Their conversations paused as Jacob trailed behind me.

"Did you sleep okay?" Emily asked, looking at me.

"Y-yeah." I stuttered. Why did everyone have to stare at me? Was my hair a mess? Jacob leaned across me and grabbed a muffin, then sat across the table to sit by Embry. The table slowly filled with noise again, making me more comfortable.

~

"Hey, sorry for not coming home last night. I was going to call and tell you that I was staying the night at Jacob's," I said to Charlie through the phone.

"Lillian, I really don't want to do this, but this is the second time," he said.

"I know. I'm sorry."

"You're grounded. I want you home as soon as possible."

"Okay." I said. The line died.

Great. Grounded during summer.

"Why do you look so bummed?" Paul asked, plopping down on the couch.

"I'm grounded."

"Aw, for how long?" He asked.

I shrug. "Well, I have to go home. Bye."

I gave Paul a quick hug before walking out to Charlie's house. Paul decided he wanted to join. We talked the whole time, and he even told me about the pack, but then he got called to duty.

"Lillian!" I turned my attention to a guy riding a motorbike. "Let me take you home."

I smiled and skipped over to Jacob. He handed me his helmet, which I kindly took, strapping it on. Wrapping my arms around his torso, we sped off.

~

"Thanks Jake," I said, taking off the helmet. "Anytime, Lilly." His new nickname for me gave me butterflies.

"Lillian?" Bella asked, running toward us. "I thought you died!" She wrapped her arms tightly around me.

"What do you mean? I was gone one night." I chuckled.

"Alice...uh. Never mind." She ran her fingers through her hair.

"Alice what?" More secrets.

"She knows," Edward said. He joined the group. Jacob got off his bike, stepping in front of me. "Get away from her Jacob." Edward warned. My eyes flicked between them.

Jacob was rigid. "Or what?"

"Edward," Bella whispered.

"You might just kill her, like yesterday in the woods." Edward spit.

"I'm not the one that would hurt her. It'd be you, considering what you did to Bella." Jacob retaliated. They inched closer to each other.

I grabbed Jacob's arm—tense. His head whipped around, but his gaze softened.

"Stay away from her before something bad actually happens." Edward said.

Jacob's nostrils flared. "Listen buddy, I can control myself. Unlike someone who can't stand the smell of blood." Jacob took another step closer to Edward.

"Apparently not, if you're phasing right in front of her." Edward stalked closer.

"Enough." I bit. They didn't disconnect their stare.

"I gotta go." Jacob got on his bike.

"Jake wait." I was too late. He already drove off.

I shoulder past Edward and Bella.

"Lillian."

"Don't." I stop, flipping around. "I don't want to know. Keep your secrets to yourself just like everyone else." I turned back around and stomped up the stairs and into my room.

~

Opening my closet, I fling a new shirt off the rack, grab some pants and underwear, and trudge into the bathroom. My reflection glared at me— stiff clothes from the rain, unkempt hair tousled by the helmet and sleep, and purple under my eyes. It's been years since my last shower. At least that's how it felt.

The water steamed, hurdling to the shower floor, pelting my skin. The scalding touch relaxed my shoulders. Jacob's words keep replaying in my head as I gazed at the wall. "Listen buddy, I can control myself unlike someone who can't stand the smell of blood." What does that even mean? Can't stand the smell of blood.