Chapter 6

I woke up to the sound of people talking. It sounded like twenty people could be in this house. After stretching, acclimatizing to the freezing wooden floorboards, I walked down the hall to the source.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Seth said. He must be a morning person.

"Morning." I walked over to the kitchen island.

Emily made a variety of pancakes with eggs and bacon. I grabbed a plate, along with everyone else, and served myself two pancakes with an egg. I put syrup on my pancakes and sat at the table. Everyone loaded their plates, already digging into the wonderful smelling breakfast.

"Why didn't you get bacon?" A new voice asked. It was a boy with a round, narrow face.

"Um, I don't like bacon," I said quietly, noticing everyone's eyes are on me. Sue me that I don't like bacon. It actually isn't that rare of a thing.

"Are you not human?" Embry asked, utterly baffled.

"Are you?"

The room went silent. It was unsettling and obviously rare. Silverware did not scratch against plates, and mouths completely halted, stunned.

Sam cleared his throat, pushing his pancake with his fork. Conversation floated to the ceiling, and the boys continued to load their plates. They could eat pounds and pounds of food. It was as if it turned into air once they swallowed.

The front door opened. A tired-looking Jacob walked in, waving at everyone who greeted him. I ignored him and continued to eat.

"Are you hungry?" Emily asked.

"No, I'm good, thank you," Jacob said.

"Thank you, Emily, for the wonderful breakfast," Sam said, interrupting the bubbling tension. A mumble of appreciation tossed around.

All of the boys finished eating, leaving their plates clean on the table. I picked them up, rinsing them in the sink.

"Thank you, but you do not have to clean." Emily took the plates from me.

"It's okay. I just wanted to help," I said. "Oh, and thank you for letting me stay here overnight."

"You're welcome to stay whenever you'd like." She smiled.

I smiled back and went to the guest room. I grabbed my now dried clothes and changed into them. I left the pajamas I borrowed on the bed, neatly folded. When I got outside, all of the boys and Leah were there. Jacob was sitting on the patio steps. I sat next to him and watched the boys toss around a football. We didn't acknowledge the other's presence.

The awkwardness of sitting next to Jacob was becoming uncomfortable. I couldn't handle it anymore, so I said something. "Why didn't you come back to get me last night?"

He didn't look at me.

"Sam said that you'd be back to take me to Charlie's. You never showed."

"I was busy." Is all he said.

The atmosphere was nearly tangible. I sucked on the inside of my bottom lip, trying not to explode. We didn't look at each other.

"You left me here, with people I barely know."

Jacob sighed. "Calm down. You're being dramatic."

My jaw dropped, a strained gasp left my mouth. He's never talked to me like this. Yes, I knew we hadn't known each other for that long, but he didn't seem like one to have such an attitude. "Well, I'm sorry that I bothered you by being forgotten."

I stood up and walked back inside. Sam and Emily's conversation dropped as I walked past them. Jacob's motorcycle caught my attention.

I'd never thought I'd ever do this, but I hopped on his bike, clicking the helmet strap. My hand twisted the handle, turning it on and revving the engine. I'll show him dramatic.

"Lillian! Wait!" Jake yelled as he ran out the front door.

I jolted forward, scaring myself, then steadied my balance and rode off. How hard could driving a motorcycle be? It was just a motorized bike, right?

"Lillian!" Jacob's yell faded in the distance.

~

I rode the bike back to Charlie's house. His cop car was gone, and so was Bella's truck. I stopped and got off, throwing the helmet on the seat, and rested the bike on the kickstand. Shuffling to the front door, I jiggled the doorknob. With my luck, it was locked. I rested my forehead against the door. The side of my fist punched it.

Great, just great. I'm locked outside. That's just what I needed right now: to be locked outside after storming away from Jake because he left me stranded at a house where I barely knew the people. Who does that? And his excuse was because he was 'busy.' That's the worst excuse in the entire world.

I waited on the porch patiently. I don't have a cell phone on me, so I can't call anyone. My mind wandered off, hoping Jacob would get his bike back, but why would he? I sighed. He'd given me mixed emotions. Part of me wanted him to be here, and the other part of me didn't want him to come near me right now. I hated to admit it, but he's right about me being overdramatic. I took his bike after yelling at him. As if that would solve my irritations and teach him a lesson.

Pathetic.