Chatper 5

My feet pound the muddy ground as I run between enormous trees. The shadow beast was right behind me. I tripped and rolled a few feet, landing on my stomach. My arms quivered as I pushed off the ground, somehow managing to stand. I ran, but my speed slowed down. A searing pain slashed my back, throwing me to the side, and slamming me against a tree. The black beast lurked closer. White fangs showed beneath a curled lip, a rumbling growl seeping through. It leaped forward, paw ready to strike.

I jolted. My heart pounded against my ribs, clenching painfully. I sighed, wiping the bead of sweat off my forehead. The pillow is plump and puffs as I land on it. Staring up at the ceiling, the sound of tapping raindrops hitting the window, created a calming rhythm. Lightning struck and thunder clapped.

This isn't Charlie's house. Where am I?

I sat up and looked at the wooden floor. Slowly I pulled the ocean blue covers off my body. Shivers shock my toes as they touch the freezing floor, traveling to my legs and arms. I made my way to the window.

Trees. The only visible silhouette was trees. Something peeked between the curtain of leaves. I placed my hand on the chilled window. The black-furred beast was lurking around the house. A silver wolf strutted to join the beast. My eyes widened at the sight.

"No, wake up. Wake up," I whispered, placing my left hand on my cheek, then my forehead. I'm awake. This isn't a dream. I'm in a room looking out of a window at two wolves, giant wolves.

One of them snapped their neck, their vision reaching the window where I stand. I gasped and fell to the floor. Crawling backward, I kept my eye on the window. The door clang against my back. My shoes, next to me. Hurriedly, I twisted the doorknob and slowly opened it, tiptoeing down the hallway, past the living room, then the kitchen. The glass door slid open. I stepped into the rain.

Lightning struck and thunder clapped. My muscles tensed and I flinched. The rain pelts against my head, soaking my hair to my skull. It made it difficult to see. At least the moon was full.

I trudged through the mud and onto the dirt road. Hopefully turning right was the way to Charlie's or to Jacob's house, whichever is closer.

Another flash of light and a crackle of thunder.

My shoes made a slushing noise as they slap against the muddy road. A car drove by, the tires ran through a puddle, splashing muddied water at me. I stopped, jaw dropped. I can't believe that just happened.

Chills ran down my spine. I continued walking as the storm continued to worsen. The raindrops were bigger and fell harder.

"Lillian?"

I stopped and waited.

"Lillian!" The voice came closer. Embry. "Why are you out here?" He asked, handing me a jacket.

"I'd like to ask you the same thing." I slipped my arms through the sleeves.

"I heard someone go outside, so I got up to investigate." He said.

I put the hood over my head. "I woke up from, uh...thunder. I looked out the window and I saw massive wolves." I said.

"Why'd you come outside?" We started walking back to Emily's house.

"I don't know." Why did I run outside? Hiding in a closet would have been a better idea. It's not like wolves have opposable thumbs. "Jacob was supposed to take me to Charlie's, but I guess that never happened." Hopefully, he'll take the bait and divert the subject off of my stupidity.

~

We finally arrived at Emily's house and snuck inside. Embry shut the door behind us. "I'll go get us towels." He said, leaving me in the dining room.

I place the jacket on the back of the chair. Embry came back with two towels. He handed one of them to me. We both dried ourselves off. The door opened. Sam and Paul walked in wearing nothing but cutoffs.

Why were they outside, wearing practically nothing, in the freezing rain? Moving here just gets weirder every second.

Sam turns on the light. "What are you two doing awake?"

"And with towels?" Paul added.

"It's a stupid reason, rather not explain," I said.

"I heard someone leave so I went to investigate," Embry explained. "I brought her back."

Sam looked at us in disbelief. "Jacob didn't come back, did he?"

"No, he didn't."

Embry and Paul went to the living room.

"I'll grab you some of Emily's pajamas so you can sleep." He said and left.

I went over to Paul and Embry. "Where were you and Sam?"

He shrugged in response.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Were you two looking for those wolves? The ones as tall as Sam."

They glanced at one another before looking at me.

"Jacob told us about you and your wolf encounter. We agree with him." Paul said.

I rolled my eyes. "I shouldn't even have said anything. Now everyone is going to label me as the crazy wolf girl." I said, annoyed.

"You could say that." Embry giggled. Paul gave him a stern glare.

Sam entered the living room. I grabbed the pajamas and thank him, then went back to the guest room to change.

I needed to stop thinking about the wolf encounter. Maybe everyone was right, I was just imagining them.