Chapter 15

I couldn't get him off my mind. It had only been a few days, but I couldn't bring my mind away from him. I couldn't even go over to see my brother without my mind slipping over Jacob. It was like he was imprinted in my head. Every detail of his face was memorized like the back of my hand. I just couldn't get away from him and it was driving me insane. The way his eyes shine in the sun, his nose perfectly sculpted, his personality to protect and care was unbearable. It made me nauseated. Just the sound of his voice made me gag.

"Why are you so up tight?" Edward asked.

I sighed. "I don't know."

"It's Jacob, isn't it?" He asked.

"Would you stay out of my head?" I rolled my eyes.

Edward threw his hands up in surrender. "Calm down, just trying to help." He said.

I slackened my shoulders and relaxed my stance. "Why? Why does he do this to me?"

"Don't throw any punches, but maybe you like him?" He squinted his eyes waiting for the pain.

My eyes widened as the last four words slipped across his lips. The blood rushed to my cheeks, heating them red. "What? How could I? I can't even say his name without wanting to puke." I said, focusing my hatred on him.

"It's just a thought," Edward murmured.

Was that why I suddenly hated him? Is it because I fell for him? That's preposterous! How could I ever like him? Just the thought made me laugh until I cried because it was utterly ridiculous.

Bella walked over to the twinkling Edward. She sat down and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Did you really leave?" I asked him.

His pale complexion looked my way. "I thought it would save Bell. I didn't think she'd jump off a cliff," he said with a smile. He looked at her with love in his eyes. For not having a soul, he could really pretend to have one.

"I only jumped off because the rush of adrenaline made you come back." She said, playing with his hair.

"I'm just glad that mutt saved you." He said, giving her a kiss on the forehead.

"Okay guys, please. Don't talk about him." I said, staring at the water. The waves were so calming.

"Maybe you should go talk to him? You've been really irritated ever since you got mad at him." Bella said.

I gave her a death glare, but quickly got rid of it.

She was right. I snapped at Jacob and he was just trying to comfort me. He just wanted to be there for me. But I just couldn't go back to him. I couldn't crawl back like I'm helpless without him. I didn't need him in my life.

"I'm perfectly fine without him. Plus, weren't you the one who said he wasn't good?" I reminded her.

"That was before I knew Sam was your brother." She retorted.

"Speaking of which, he probably won't be too fond of you hanging around a vampire," Edward said.

"I'll see you guys later. I should go. Tell Charlie I'm with Sam." I told them as I got up and left, walking into the forest.

The bright shining forest slowly turned into a twilight-covered scenery. Once again, I might've been getting lost, but I felt like I'm about to be found. I picked up my pace, heading to the reservation. My steady heartbeat quickened as I heard the leaves ruffle. I started to run, trying my best not to trip this time so I could escape. I stopped, sliding in my tracks as a man stood in front of me.

"Isn't it nice to see you out today?" He said. His eyes glowed red like blood. I didn't say anything but looked at the strange, pale man coldly. "Cut the act, Lillian," he said.

"Who are you and how do you know my name?" I asked forcefully.

He faked a shocked expression. "Well, I am hurt," he placed his hand over his heart, "how could you forget your own father?"

My guard dropped and my eyes widened, but I quickly squinted them in anger and tightened my fists. My chest heaved as vexation flew through my veins. "You're not my dad. My dad left me a long time ago." I stated.

He laughed with a devilish smile. "Of course, I did. Your mother was a werewolf and what does that make you? A mutt! You're a monster, princess." His smirk was sinful. "You're a mix of werewolf and vampire. The Volturi should've killed you when you were born."

I gritted my teeth. "How could you say that about your own daughter?"

He ran over, standing behind me. "The same way I'm going to kill you," he leaned in towards my left ear and whispered, "easily."

I whipped around and threw my hardest punch to his face. He grabbed my wrist and squeezed it. I groaned in pain and frustration.

"Did you really think a wee hybrid like you could hurt a vampire like me?" He asked with the same sinful smirk. He took my neck in his hand, tightening his grip, and lifted me off the ground. I automatically tried to pry his fingers off. "Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit," he said through gritted teeth.

I heard a growl, then hit the ground gasping for air. A black wolf lunged at my dad. Sam was thrown off of him. He shook his head and sprinted at the man who was running towards me. Another wolf pounced on the man before he got to me. It was an ash brown color. He snarled and bites at the man, but was thrown off, as well. I stumbled onto my feet and tried to run away, but crashed to my knees. I gasped for more air, barely capable of breathing. The man grabbed my ankle, yanked me to him, gripped my shin, and threw me against a tree. I cried out in pain as I curled into a ball and held my bruised side. Jacob in his wolf form ran at my dad. His lip curled, canines flashing and eyes full of fury. He lept into the air, opening his jaw ready to chomp. My dad caught him, squeezing Jacob's ribs and right arm, then threw him to the side.

"No!" I screeched. Tears pricked my eyes. I pushed myself to my feet and ran over to Jacob. "Jake." I said. He whimpered and howled. I looked over and saw my dad run away. The pack howled and snarled after him.

Jacob phased back to his true form. Tears formed in his eyes.

"Take him to Billy's," Sam ordered, running back to the clearing with cut offs on. The rest of the pack lift Jacob, carrying him to his house.

"Jacob!" I cried, trying to run to him, outstretching my arms. Sam held me back.

"You need to give him space. He'll be okay." He assured me. "Let's get you home."

I limped, but the pain outweighed the rush of adrenaline. I clutched my side and fell to my knees. Sam picked me up effortlessly and carried me to Emily's.

"Oh my god! What happened?" Emily asked as Sam set me down on the couch.

"A vampire attacked her. Call Carlisle." Sam continued to talk and tried to keep me awake, but my eye lids became too heavy to keep open. I gave up the fight and let myself slip into the pitch black darkness.