Chapter 3

"I miss you, too, mom," I spoke into the phone.

"Call me if you need anything, and don't forget, Charlie won't bite. I love you, honey, but I have to go." My mom's voice was soft, angelic.

"Okay, I love you too."

The line died.

I didn't dare tell my mom about what happened yesterday. I haven't even told Charlie about the wolves, or he'd never let me leave the house. I'd be on probation.

"I should be home at six today," Charlie told Bella and me.

I took a bite of pancakes.

"Okay. Stay safe," Bella said and gave him a hug.

He gave us a kiss on the forehead and left.

"Can I ask you something crazy? You can't tell Charlie." I asked Bella after the door shut.

"Yeah, you can talk to me about anything," She said.

"When I was in the woods, I got lost because this huge wolf with black fur was following me. I couldn't tell which way I'd come from. Then, this other wolf tackled the black one."

Bella looked shocked and furious. "How'd you get back?"

"Some guy named Jacob," I said.

"Jacob Black?"

I shrug. "He didn't tell me his last name."

She didn't say anything and took a drink.

"Have you ever seen wolves? They were probably six feet tall." I sounded like a lunatic.

She shook her head. "I think you were just freaked out."

~

I went back to the woods later that day. Nothing happened. Then the next day, and the day after that.

Did I really imagine it all happening?

"Are you lost again?"

I jump, startled by the sound of the voice. Jacob.

"You scared me," I said with my hand on my heart.

"Sorry."

"Can I ask you something crazy?" He nodded. "Have you ever come out here and seen wolves? Like massive wolves?"

He came over to me, and we began walking. "I think you've been outside for a long time. We should get you inside." He said, sounding concerned.

"No, I'm serious. That time I got lost, there was a tall black wolf. Then another wolf came and tackled it." I demonstrated the size with exaggerated gestures. "I could've died."

He smirked.

"Do you not believe me?" I stopped walking.

He faced me and studied my face, the smirk disappearing.

"Okay, I get it. I'm crazy." I shrugged and walked past him, going into his house.

Jacob followed me to his room. I sat down and rested my head against the wall. His room was a little messy. Posters of vehicles were tackled on his walls. Jacob was pretty good with mechanical things. He told me he helped Bella fix up two bikes—motorcycles, of course.

"Here, I got you water." He said, handing me the glass. I took a sip.

"Today, around sunset, I'm taking you to the woods. I swear I saw them."

Jacob sat next to me. "Fine, but if nothing happens, I get to take you somewhere."

"Deal." I held out my hand for him to shake on it.

He grabbed my hand, which hand was hot, and firmly shook it once.

"I don't know what I'll tell Charlie. He doesn't want me going into the woods anymore. He says it's dangerous." I said blankly.

"Considering what you have told me, I don't blame him." Jacob chuckled.

I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"Jacob!" Billy yelled.

"Hold on," Jacob said to me, then went to his dad.

Out of the window, there were the woods. They were everywhere. The urge came back. My heart started beating faster and faster, adrenaline flowed through my veins, and a smile crept onto my face. Today was a cloudy day. I've come to get used to the weather here.

Jacob returned. "I don't think you'll have a problem with Charlie." He stood behind me.

"Why?" I asked, facing the tan boy.

"My dad is taking him fishing."

~

"Where are we meeting?" He asked as we walked out of the house.

"By the woods to the left of Charlie's house," I recommended.

"See you then, Lillian."

I waved to Jacob and walked back into the woods. My instinct told me where to go. A feeling like someone or something watching me engulfed me as I walked deeper into the woods. Whatever it was, it wasn't going to harm me; it wasn't stalking but a shield of protection. The lingering feeling stayed near.

~

"I'm going fishing with Billy," Charlie said to Bella and me. "I'll be back later." He left, but not before peeking his head through the door, saying, "I don't want any guys over while I'm gone."

"You heard him, no guys," I said, looking at Bella.

"That goes for you, too. Don't think I haven't seen you hanging out with Jacob." Her tone was lacking humor.

My jaw clenched as a sneer washed over my face. "Why do you care?"

"I have my reasons, Lillian." She crossed her arms over her chest. "He isn't who he pretends to be, trust me."

"I don't think you need to worry," I said and marched out of the house.

"Where do you think you're going?" Bella yelled after me.

"For a walk," I said as if it wasn't obvious.

She groaned and slammed the door.

At the timberline, Jacob leaned against a tree. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine," I said, walking past him and into the forest. I've known Jacob for a while now. He knows not to push me to explain my emotions.

~

"This is where it happened?"

"Yup."

"What happened exactly?" He asks.

"I was exploring carelessly." I began. "A black-furred wolf found me, made me stop. I turned around and ran. It chased after me. Another wolf came out of nowhere when I fell and tackled the black beast, saving me."

Jacob looked interested. "Wow. Are you sure it wasn't just your imagination?"

I pushed his arm lightly. "Positive, Black."

He chuckled. I sat down, Jacob sitting beside me.

"Honestly, it could be my imagination. When I was younger, my grandpa used to tell me these stories about this wolf pack." Oh, how those days seemed so simple. "He said that they had some treaty in La Push with the Cold Ones, that they couldn't hunt on each other's land. He never clarified if it was just a story passed down for generations or if it was true. I guess I always thought it was." I shrugged.

Jacob nodded.

"I don't know. I wish someone was with me. Then I wouldn't sound so crazy."

"Maybe you just need to let it go?" Jacob's voice was hushed.

After a moment, he stood and reached out his hand for me to grab. I took it, and he pulled me up. "Let's go back to your house. Charlie should be coming back soon."

~

Charlie just pulled up to the house when we arrived. "Oh, hey Jacob. Lillian." Charlie said, getting out of his car.

"Hi, Charlie." Jacob smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow." He told me.

"Okay." I walked inside and went upstairs.

"Where did you go?" Bella asked, stopping me at the top of the stairs.

"I went to the woods with Jacob," I said.

She stepped aside, and I opened my bedroom door.

"I really don't want you hanging out with him anymore."

"Why? What's wrong with him?"

She stuttered.

"That's what I thought. Nothing. You have nothing to say." My fists balled up at my sides.

"If he ends up hurting you in some way, don't come saying that I didn't warn you." With that, Bella left, and I got ready for bed.