06. It's In His Eyes

I GREETED THE NEW KID and turned around in my seat as he took one of the vacant chairs at our table. "We were talking about a party this Sunday."

"Ooh, a party." I still wasn't used to his accent. I half expected him to sound different. I wasn't accustomed to it, hence why it took me a second to remember the fact that he wasn't American. "Where is it?"

"You wouldn't be interested." Michael uttered, bringing his backpack on to the table and unzipping it. "It's a party that's being hosted by students from another High School - meaning you'd know even less people there."

Ashton seemed unfazed. "Well, are you guys going?"

"We are." I answered.

"Then I'd know two people there then," he noted. "That's something."

"Who said anything about us hanging out with you," Michael whispered so lowly, obviously irked at Ashton's intention to tag along.

Ashton's head bobbed up. "What was that? Did you say something Michael?"

"Oh, no. I didn't." He muttered, gritting his teeth. He patted his neck. "I was clearing my throat and coughed."

"You should get that checked out then, mate. That was a nasty cough." Ashton narrowed his eyes. I had a feeling he had heard Michael's little jab.

"You should bring a date," I suggested. "It'll be more fun if you have someone with you."

"I'd much rather go on my own. You worry less, trying to sticking around with that one person. I don't want to bring anyone along and then eventually lose track of where they are mid-way into the party." He said, swiping his thumb over his knuckles. "Also, I don't think anyone would go with me. I barely know anyone here. Are you taking a date?" He asked Michael.

"Yeah, I am - actually no, I'm not." He spluttered - almost too loud - and took off his glasses, starting to wipe the lenses methodically. "I'm going with Rose, but not as a date...as a friend. Strictly as a friend."

What was with him? He was unsettled, perturbed at Ashton's innocent question about if he had a date. There was no need for him to get so jumpy.

"Ah, I forgot you have a boyfriend, don't you?" Ashton inquired.

"Yes, I do." I said, pointedly. "You should bring someone, if you can."

"I'll be going solo - if I go," Ashton said. "Do you guys know what the homework for physiology was? I finished it last night, but I think I may have forgotten to answer the questions for pages 12 to 13."

I fished out my physiology workbook and started to go over what the homework was. The three of us discussed the work and went over the questions we were given, knowing that it would be necessary for the group project our teacher said she had in mind for next week.

•••

AFTER HOURS OF CONTEMPLATION, I settled on wearing black pumps, a sheer blouse, and a skirt that went two inches above my knee. Sunday's party couldn't have come sooner, and I was more anxious for it to arrive than I thought I would be.

"I don't see why you couldn't get Reagan to come with you." Michael complained from outside my closet's door. I had begged him to come over around three o'clock this Sunday afternoon so I could show him my options for tonight. "My opinion is pretty irrelevant."

"I want a guys prospective."

"You have a boyfriend."

"He wouldn't do this for me."

Softer than ever, I could've swore I heard him say: "Maybe that's a sign he's not the right one."