10. You Can't Break What's Already Broken

"I CAN'T ANSWER your question. You know why I can't." My tone didn't come off as authoritative or in the least bit confident. I threw caution to the wind, not putting much thought to how the space between us was minimizing with each step he took toward me.

And with each pain stacking second that came and went, I prayed that time had stopped still for our benefit; for in a world without time was a world without structure. And maybe, just maybe in the figment of my imagination, I could find an alternate dimension where loving Michael didn't rub a bitter taste of betrayal and infidelity on my tongue

"I can tell you why you can't answer," Michael cooed, catching one of the locks of my hair and wrapping it around his finger. "It's because you already know, but the truth scares you."

"Michael..."

"I remember that kiss, Rose. And I'm sure you do, too. Especially now with how you're looking at me." He licked his lower lip, dragging his teeth over it.

My knees transformed into jelly, unable to keep me steady as he loomed over me like a towering, amused figure. The corner of his mouth twisted upward, assaulting my heart once again with a lethal smirk that rendered me unstable under his watchful gaze. I could tell that he had every intention to make me feel minuscule in front of him.

I didn't come off bothered by this. As much as I hated myself for admitting it, I liked it. I enjoyed the heat that swirled in hollow of my neck, feeling ten degrees hotter than when I walked in this room two minutes ago.

"I can't." I turned my cheek before his lips could make contact to mine, facing the floor and shuffling back from my spot against the wall. "I care about you, Michael, but I can't do that Edgar."

I wasted no time to flee from the room, zipping out of there with my eyes pinned to the ground. I couldn't dare look at the sight of rejection riddling his pupils. I felt it radiating off his stiff, unresponsive body after I said those words and reached out to touch his shoulder. He reeled back and dodged my hand. Seeing it on his face was another thing though. I couldn't bear to witness what I caused.

Perhaps if he had shown his interest in me sooner, at a time where I could easily take him up for his offer, then I would've considered a relationship with him.

Who was I kidding? I would never jeopardize our friendship like that. He was the oldest friend I had. I didn't want to ruin it by dating each other. What if we hated each other? I couldn't deal with the thought of never having him in my life after a bad breakup.

Times were different now though then when we kissed during my break. I was with Edgar again and I couldn't get myself to kiss Michael– no matter how mad I was at my boyfriend.

And trust me, I was livid with him. I didn't want to think about the awkward car ride home. I regretted not bringing my headphones with me. Maybe if I had them then I could ignore him with music.

Unfortunately, I would have to be subjected to tolerate his intrusive questions about where I went. I told him I was going to the restroom before I left the kitchen, but I knew he'd asked me again just to see if my answer was still the same.

His trust level was low. I couldn't tell if it was because of the lack of trust in his parent's relationship or because he himself had bad relationships in the past. We didn't talk about Edgar's exes often. When I first met him in my freshman year, he wasn't this angry about everything and everyone.

Believe it if you will, but he was inclusive and sheltered at times, barely bothering anyone. This was before he joined any athletic team, of course. I found him intriguing by the way he shut off the world and longed for privacy.