29. Go around and around

Edgar's POV

That next day, rumors about Tyler and Rose were making headway throughout the school. People were talking, nonstop, about how people were shocked my best friend could betray me like that and also give my ex-girl an STI. The first thing I did that morning was walk up to Tyler.

"What the fuck, bro?" I said.

"What?" He offered. "What's wrong?"

"You told people that you slept with my girl...and that you gave her a disease? How is that going to help me get her back?!"

"First off, she's not your girl. She's not even your friend."

"You know what I mean, dude."

"Second off," he went on, "this is only going to make her want to run back to you."

"Huh? In what universe would she want to return to me?" I asked, completely lost on what he meant.

"Believe me. Dude. Give it a day."

By the end of the day, Rose did eventually walk up to me.

To fight.

"You are one sick individual," she had said to me, walking up to me during one of the last classes of the day. It was the short period of time between classes, and I was at my locker when she stopped me. "You are dead to me, and you're even more dead to me with the shit I hear you're spreading about me."

I tried to touch her, to calm her down, but she only shrugged me off.

"Please, listen," I said, "this is not what it looks like. It's not my idea, to begin with. And from what I know - "

"I don't care!" she cut me off, "Get people to stop talking about me...or..."

"Or what?"

"Or I'm going to tell your dad you're bullying me. I'll get you expelled for something."

"You wouldn't do that."

She narrowed her beautiful eyes at me and gave me a look of assurance. "Trust me. I have my heart set on it."

Instantly, I thought of the first time she had said those exact words to me.

****

When I met Rose, we were both Freshman.

She had braids in her hair when I first met her, and that was honestly what made me fall for her. Her looks. The way she looked so slick and cool. She appeared as beautiful as a model on a magazine, dazzling with bright teeth and sharp eyes.

She had the kind of smile that made you want to smile back, and the type of laugh that made you want to chuckle. She could make anyone like her, or fall in love with her - even if it was for a moment. She had this draw about her, this unexplainable essence that made you wonder what she would say next. She kept me on my toes - even then at that age.