13. Clear as Day

QUICK TO JUMP TO conclusions, Edgar veered his vision on to Ashton. The incident at the last party we attended together where he attacked some poor and helpless guy replayed in my head like a bad memory. I didn't want history to repeat itself.

"It's not like that, Edgar." I explained, backing up with my emotions caught in my throat. Edgar was no longer looking at me. "We didn't do anything. We were talking and lost track of time."

"Then why did you lie about it," Edgar snarled, lips quivering as he spoke and sizing Ashton up - head to toe. "You could've told me the truth and said you were talking."

"Obviously, she couldn't because she knew you'd act like this. Geez." Ashton somehow found humor in all of this and the start of a smile appeared on his face, looking over at me. Oh, no. If only he knew what he was getting himself into. He didn't know about Edgar's reputation.

Ashton pointed at Edgar with his thumb, staring at me. "Is he always as protective as a guard dog?"

"Don't speak to her."  Edgar barked.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't know you were her father, too." Ashton said sarcastically.

"Why don't you shut-up? You're not funny. Was I talking to you, smart ass?" Edgar nudged him with his arm, making Ashton hit his back to the door. The humor evaporated from Ashton's features. "What the hell were you two up to?"

"You really shouldn't get physical about this, Edgar. We can speak like civil citizens, I'm sure," Ashton lifted off the surface he was slammed on to and dared to take a step forward. With the way he was talking, he sounded like someone's dad. "The last thing you need is to get in a fight over nothing. I don't want you to get hurt while trying to be the brainless jock."

"More like a joke," I heard from the crowd that was beginning to circle us. I found who that voice belonged to. It was Michael, peering at us with his arms crossed.

A girl in a cute cream colored maxi dress, appearing to be a smidge too long for her, was stuck to his side. My heart fell out of my chest and deflated on the floor, along with any hope that Edgar was lying to make me angry by saying Michael was someone else. I banished those thoughts and assured myself that this was not bad.

This is a good thing. I'm happy for him, I recited twice more, as if I was trying to convince myself into believing a new lie besides pretending to be okay. Soon enough, I'd mask my pain just like how I faked my laughs.

"Stay out of this," Edgar warned harshly. "I'd gladly take you both on."

"Easy now, Eddy, people can perceive that as something else," Ashton teased.

The spectators boomed with overwhelming laughter, making side comments to whoever they were closest to. There was nothing more Edgar hated than being the punch-line to someone's joke and being laughed at. Edgar reeled back, sailing his fist i the direction of Ashton's cheek. I shielded my eyes before he made contact; I couldn't get myself to watch.

The wall I stood up against rattled as a body hit it. Through the small cracks between my fingers, I peeked at the scene in front of me. To my disbelief, Edgar was being pinned to the floor. Ashton's forearm was under Edgar's chin, keeping him in place as his arms flailed at him, missing the target entirely.

Edgar's bulging vein on his temple became more noticeable, pulsing red while Ashton forcefully held him down. I wanted to interfere but getting involved would result in me possibly getting hurt.

"I told you I don't want you to get hurt." Ashton said through gritted teeth. "Jumping at me was a bad move."

In the blink of an eye, the new kid transformed from a laughing, easygoing individual into a stoic kind of person that command the room into silence. It reminded me of what my mom told me when I was younger. You never know someone until you see how they act when they're mad.