30. Once Upon a Somber Night

Rose's POV

Mom told me about the divorce when I got home.

I hadn't seen my dad in so long, and this was what I was told in return instead of seeing of him. When we were done talking, mom and I, I gave dad a call and tried to get some sense of how he was taking it all and also an idea on when he'd be back in town.

"I'm not coming back," he stated firmly. "I'm living in Tanzania from now on."

"What?" I inquired with a bit of shock.

"You're eighteen, Rose. You don't need me anymore."

"I do need you."

"There's nothing left for me in America."

Bullshit.

I needed him now more than ever before. When mom told me she was staring up a new relationship, none of my nightmares could've predicted the outcome of having Edgar as my soon-to-be step brother. I hated the fact that I had to see him at school - and now I had to get an extra dose of him at home.

"You can't possibly say there's nothing for you in America," I croaked, "when I'm still alive and here. You have me. You have your daughter."

"Have you heard from Rita?" he asked in a frantic way, a way that made me feel something deep within my skin. "I've been trying to call her non-stop for the last month, but she hasn't returned my calls."

"Maybe she's going through something with her and her husband."

"Her and Jerel are always fighting. But it's never gotten this bad. He won't even take my calls."

"That's weird."

"Could you do me a favor?"

"Sure thing, what?"

"Could you check up on her for me? Just swing by the house and see if she's alright. Call before hand, but like I said, she's not taking any of my calls or texts."

"I'll do that for you dad," I said, "Under one condition."

"What?"

"You promise to write me letters like you use to on your earlier trips. I miss those cute postcards."

He laughed on the other end. "I can promise you that."

Right when I ended the call, a pebble sailed into my window. I was in my bedroom, sitting on my bed. When another pebble hit the window frame, I got up and checked to see who it was. To my surprise, it was Ashton, standing with leather on and disappearing into the night - appearing only as a floating head amongst the bushes.

"What are you doing here?"

"I need a place to crash."

****

Without saying anything, not even asking him a question - at first at least - I ended up letting him in through the front door. My mom was busy enough in the backyard, looking at her herb garden to notice what or who I was sneaking in.

"Did you eat at all?" I asked when we got upstairs, keeping my voice low. "We had dinner recently. I can make you a plate if you're hungry."

"That would be nice. What did you have?"

"Lasagna and some salad. I bought a tiramisu at the grocery store, too. Do you want a slice of that?"

"No thanks on the sweets. But I'll have some dinner."

Going down stairs, I went to the kitchen and opened the cabinets. After arranging the food on the purple plate, I got a glass of water as well, filling in some ice cubes. Mom walked in right before I pivoted into the stairway.