26. His Problem

Rose's POV

Operation: Become Edgar's Friend Again was green lit after lunch. Ashton gave it the name, saying that since this felt like a mission, we should give it a proper mission name as well. 

He was so excessive when he detailed what he wanted me to do, holding nothing back in his description. "You need him to swoon for you again. Dress like you haven't before. Act like someone you're not. You can't get back with him just yet, or even ever at all, but we need to make him think there is a chance."

"This seems stupid," Michael said.

"Well you don't have to be a part of it," I said, matter of factly. "This could be something only Ashton and I take care of."

"It won't work." Michael concluded. "He'll see right through your bullshit."

Instantly, I shook my head. "No he won't."

Operation: Become Edgar's Friend Again consisted of four phases of action.

Phase One: Tell Edgar that I miss him, and apologize for ever pushing him away. Even if there was nothing to be sorry about, I knew that saying it would make him trust me a little more. 

Phase Two: Plant seeds in his head - indirectly or directly - that his team mates don't like him anymore

Phase Three: Steal the keys to the school from his dad and make copies

Phase Four: Steal the school statue and plant it at Edgar's house.

The last part of the plan was still up in the air. We didn't know if putting it in Edgar's house would give the real affect that we wanted, so we were brainstorming what to do instead. We could keep it in a storage unit until the school asked for it back, or we could deface it entirely, spray paint it, and leave it somewhere only the basketball team would have access to. 

Michael thought it was a terrible idea, stealing the school statue. It was of the founder of the school. The structure was a large bronze, towering thing that probably weighed more than it looked. We still hadn't mapped out exactly how we were going to take it in the first place.

"What if this all back fires," Michael said.

The bell for the end of lunch rang, and we began dumping our food in the trash cans. "It won't go south. I know it. I've added a lot of elements and safe guards in place to prevent anything bad from happening."

Michael grabbed my elbow, stopping me from moving any further. "Rose."

"What?"

"I don't like the idea of you being alone again with Edgar. You were lucky to get out of that relationship the way you did. And I don't even know what else he's been doing to get you to listen to him, but I saw him show up at your house the other day. Is he still coming over?"

"He wasn't invited."

"So he just showed up unannounced?"

I nodded. "Inside my bedroom."

"Rose! You have to tell the police."

"I'm sure I forgot to get back the spare key from him that I always use to let him borrow."

"You are acting way too nonchalant to a break-in."

I waved him off, shrugging his arm away from me, too. "It wasn't a break in. I just said he had keys."

"He showed up inside your room, Rosie, be realistic. Was your mom home?" I nodded. "If your mom wasn't home, do you think he would've been so peaceful and calm?"

"Who said he was calm? He called me a slut for dating Ashton right after dumping him."

"See this is what I mean ! I don't want you to be alone with him. I don't like the idea of it."

"Why do you care so much?"

He bit his lower lip, as though stopping himself from saying something. 

Michael's POV.

"Why do you care so much? "

How could she ask that? 

How could she not know?

"Because...Because I love you Rosie. And I've loved you for countless nights and days, hoping that you would open your eyes and see that I am undoubtably in love with you."

I didn't say those words.

I wanted to.

So badly. 

Instead I swallow the words, like shame.

I hold off on telling her the truth.

I can't imagine what it would feel like if she knew my real feelings.

She would laugh, perhaps, at my declaration of love.

She would freak out, most likely, at my intense proposition of dating.

I had to focus on other things.

Better things.

But what better than the mere look of desire from her eyes? I wanted to see it, purely only made for me and not another.

I wanted her to want me like a lover.

And less like a brother.

This year, before it's done, I swear to change that reality.

I'd work hard to accomplish my goal in having the girl of my dreams.

Even if I died trying.

+

please vote