Chapter 3 - Mist

Mist sat down on the pillowy clouds and pulled Shock next to her. The hut was twining with colors now, purple, red, yellow, white, blue, and orange. Even tiny surges of green would pop up in the color frame. Her wandering eyes finally caught hold of Shock's wondrously clueless eyes. He stared back, concentrating more on her than the words she said. She laid her head on Shock's shoulder and propped herself back up, scooping talonfulls of cloud dust with her back talons. "You noticed no signs though?" She stammered, running the clouds through her front talons. Shock did notice the white on her scales and the white in her eyes, but he never thought that those would have to do with this. Well, there was that time when she said something and her talon started flying upwards, dragging her with it. Maybe that had something to do with it. But he never noticed it as a sign, specifically. Shock raised his eyebrows and stood. "No, nope, never noticed." Mist gripped his back talon and pulled him back down, his wings flaring at her grasp. She let go, and Shock balanced himself back onto the ground. Mist scratched a scale lining her back and started speaking. "My mother never figured out where I inherited this from." Shock glanced at Mist giving her a you-never-inherited-this look. Mist ignored his remark. "I was only a tiny dragonet when I first experienced the power. Along with animus touches, I can read minds and foretell the future, slim moments though." Her head drooped under her weight and she carried on. "I myself have had moments when I think back to my ancestor, Cloud. I don't know why my mother constantly talked about her." Mist stretched her wings out and wrapped one around Shock, his scales bristling sharply as she soothed him with her wing. "The first time I found out I was an animus was when I was with you. Do you remember the time when you watched me fly off into the distance, my claw dragging ahead?" Shock turned his head away from Mist and flapped his wings, shaking Mist off. He did remember the time when she did that, and that was his first guess of what she might be, but now . . . what is there to loose? "I remember and it was HUMILIATING and I know HUMILIATION when I see it." Shock laughed along with Mist, and he remembered the times when she and him were one as friends and none less. They both sat up on their back haunches and wrapped wings, smiling. Mist drained her pain as she spoke. "Yea, that time." She smiled. She leaned on her front talons and balanced herself back to a standing position. She eyed the dome before her and started trotting over in the dark night's breeze. It was getting late. His mother would be furious if he wasn't home on time. Shock whacked Mist with his wing and flared them. "Mist, we've got to go. Anyway, whatever is in there is meant for me. You don't have to endanger yourself for me." Mist creepily eyed Shock. "Shock, my life is yours right now. I can't loose you with not one other dragonet to bond with." Shock shed a tear and scraped the ground, making a whooshing sound. Mist smiled and dropped her talon into the leather bag. She pulled out two slabs of rock and handed one to Shock. "I enchant these slabs of rock to secretly transport letters to the users, allowing them to pass thoughts, feelings, and small letters across long distance." Mist scraped letters on the slab she held and the words "Hi Shock." appeared on his. He secretly smiled and wrote "Cool" back to her. She laid her talon on the slab and slid it back into her pouch. "For your trip." She said, pointing to the slab in his hand. "We'll never loose each other and I'll know what Pyrrhia's like." Shock hadn't wanted to tell anyone yet, but he was wanting to bring Mist, and maybe Ray. Well, Ray was really annoying. He could bring Thunder, who was Mist's age, about a year under Shock. Shock was about 6 years old, leaving Mist and Thunder to be 5. They still were all dragonets. "Actually, Mist, I might try to bring you, maybe Thunder or Ray." Mist screeched and then let her breath drop. "Thunder, not Ray." She said, referring back to this morning. "Yea, you're right." Shock said back, letting his wings pull him up into the air. Mist's wings bristled as she shooed Shock back home. "See you tomorrow." He shot Mist with a blow of wind. Before he could turn around, Mist was circling him, flinging her wings at his sides. "I'd better get home, too. By the way, I really want to talk you into bringing me and Thunder." Shock laughed, attempting to dodge another one of her blows. The tip of her wing skimmed his jaw, a deep growl flowing up his throat. "Just stay quiet about it though. Ray would kill me if she heard I wanted to embark on a quest with other dragonets. She thinks we're unprepared." Mist slapped him with her talon, drawing blood from under a scale. He yowled and pummeled her to the clouds, then flying out in the distance. It hurt. That was serious pain and Mist was laughing. She sprung to her haunches and chased him, yet falling behind when she got close enough to his tail. Shock flapped his wings so hard the wound hurt. The air, alike the water which he had never seen, had currents that made his scales feel cold and pure, made him feel perfect under the breeze. On Mist's behalf though, she staggered, floundering in the wind, trying to keep her tiny wings from faltering. Behind Shock, his tail sliced the air, guiding him as if it was his only hope. He'd read once that the dragon's tail and wings were the most delicate parts, and the escape plan. Without them, a dragon is as good as dead. Shock dropped his head under his chest to see Mist snapping at his tail, trying to balance herself against the wind's force. Her tail floppily dragged behind her, weighing the rest of her down. Shock sped up, using his massive wings to propel him forward. In the distance, he could here Mist gasp and murmur, still trying to balance off in the wind. Suddenly she dropped to the clouds, her wings flaring trying to catch herself from falling. Immediately Shock reacted, pulling downwards toward her. He caught her talon, watching her eyes grow wider as he suddenly lost his grip of her claw. She screeched, stretching her wings in advance to the wind. She hit a cloud and Shock pummeled toward her, letting his wings tuck to his sides and fall into the white clouds. He used the wind to catch himself before he hit Mist, who was gasping in awe. Shock shook some of the clouds off his wings and pulled Mist to her feet, trembling as he touched her. She pulled a piece of stone from her bag, circular and a indigo-ish color. She mumbled just low enough to where Shock could hear. "I enchant this rock to improve my flight skills and make me perfectly coordinated." Her little voice squeaked. Soon, she had put the stone back in her pouch and looked upwards into the sky to see a large dragonet approaching. To Shock's best glance, he saw that the dragonet was smaller than him, but definitely bigger than Mist. As he came closer, the dragonet was able to be recognized. As the dragonet pounced on a stream of flying clouds, he turned his head and said "Wondrous day, eh?" Shock turned the stone he still held in his talon anxiously around. "Wind." Shock said, smiling.