The Intruder

Here you go. Another chapter. Enjoy!

In the dark of night, all was quiet. The students were all asleep (as far as Agnes or any other staff on patrol knew). Her heels clacked on the castle floors as she walked in the darkness. Agnes paused to gaze upon the night sky through a window. Based on the positioning of the stars, her patrol shift was almost to an end. Sighing with relief, Agnes started for the dungeons. By the time she would make it to her chamber door, her patrol would be over.

At last, Agnes arrived to the doorway to her home in Hogwarts. As she turned the doorknob, Agnes froze before she completely opened the door. A familiar meow had broken the usual silence. Agnes looked down to meet the green eyes of Beatrice. Agnes furrowed her brow in confusion. Why was Beatrice in the corridor instead of in the living chambers? Usually Beatrice was content with lazying about on the bed, or sitting on the window sill. The calico meowed again. Agnes looked to the cat then to the the door before her.
Agnes swept her foot to push the cat behind her. She pulled her wand out from the inside of her boot as she proceeded to open the door.
With caution behind every step, Agnes crept into what was supposed to be her safe place. Beatrice meowed and charged ahead “brr”ing the whole way.
Tch! Damn cat. Get yourself killed, then!

Based on the location of the thud that was heard, Agnes guessed that Beatrice had launched herself on to the bed. With no harm being done to the cat, Agnes relaxed and stepped further into the threshold.
She closed the door behind her as she transferred her cloak to the nearby coat hanger stand.
Agnes sighed and ran a hand through her hair. After taking a couple steps forward, she froze. Her breathing and body came to a complete halt.

There they stood before her - the intruder. Their back was to her, but Agnes’ best bet was to assume they already knew she was there.
Agnes rose her wand to chin level anticipating any sudden movements. The silhouette did not move. They both stood there in deafening silence - waiting on one or the other to make a move. Neither did.

Finally Agnes spoke, “What is it that you want?”

The Intruder said nothing at first. Letting the echo of Agnes’ last spoken syllable ring in the darkness. Slowly, at least it seemed to happen slowly, the intruder turned their head in Agnes’ direction. The moonlight beamed off of their pale skin. Agnes studied their profile and instantly flared with anger.

“I believe, Professor Blackwood, that I have been continuously asking you that very same question. Unfortunately, you have yet to give me any form of answer. So tell me, Agnes, what are you doing here? More importantly, what is it that you want?”

“Dammit, Snape,” Agnes dropped her arms in frustration. “I don't have time for any games!”

Severus spun around within the flash of a second, clearly sharing Agnes’ frustration. “This isn't a game you insufferable woman! Now tell me what it is that you are doing here.”

Agnes sighed, “To better my life.”

“Try again. Why are you here?”

“To better my life by having a job.”

“Liar. Why are you here?”

“Fine!” Agnes yelled. “I have no reason to be here other than to better my life! I have no evil plot; no diabolical scheme. I am not planning anything to bring down Hogwarts. I merely wanted a job!”

Agnes had hoped that her answer would satisfy him, but it only infuriated Severus more.

“Liar! You compulsive liar! After everything you've done and everything that you're capable of doing, you expect me to believe that nonsense? Do you honestly expect me to believe a dirty, no good Death Eater?”