Double Shot of Crown

Author’s Note: Hello, everyone… It’s been a while, hasn’t it? I actually started this chapter a while ago. January 14th according to my notebook. I had it two-thirds of the way finished that night. I was writing for a good four to five hours. I got distracted at a rather… sensitive scene… and it took a lot of effort to start back at that point. But here it is! :D I apologize if the ending seems rushed.

I already have the next three chapters outlined on a piece of paper (and in my Google Docs). They’re relatively short so they should be coming out sooner. They’re fillers, but plot moving fillers. Be prepared for a lot of strong emotions.

Agnes lay awake in her bed. She stared up at the ceiling. She was debating whether or not she would attend Dumbledore’s idea of a Christmas celebration. She weighed the pros and cons multiple times in her head. Dumbledore insisted that she go. Did she want to disappoint the Headmaster? Severus might be there. If Dumbledore was forcing her to attend, he was most likely going to force Severus as well. But on the other hand… everyone else would be there, too. Agnes wasn’t emotionally prepared to have a good ol’ time with her colleagues. And the students! All of the students that were staying over the Christmas Holiday were given permission to go to Hogsmeade.

There were going to be so many people. Agnes would be perfectly content lounging about and spending Christmas to herself. She didn’t need the company of other people. Nonetheless, Dumbledore expected her to participate. Agnes sighed as she came to the realization that she really didn’t have a choice. Agnes turned over on her side and attempted to force herself to sleep.

-

Agnes stared at the tavern. Everyone else was already inside. What little activity she could see through the window told the socially anxious professor that the “fun” had just started. Agnes was more than a few minutes late. She had to combat her demons and convince herself to keep her word to the Headmaster. Taking in a breath, Agnes struck up the courage to walk through the door of The Three Broomsticks.

A bell rang as the hinged wooden slab gave Agnes entrance into the establishment. What greeted Agnes skyrocketed her anxiety. The other professors snapped their attention to Agnes. They soaked in her black dress, her styled hair, and chrome diopside earring and necklace set. And… was that makeup that she was wearing?

Agnes shifted uncomfortably. She scuffed the toe of her right boot against her left calf. The expressions on their faces read shock more than anything else. They didn’t expect her to show! Agnes didn’t know whether to be smug by proving them wrong or hurt that they thought she wouldn’t attend.

After what seemed like an eternity (but was only a few seconds), McGonagall approached Agnes with open arms. “Agnes, dear! So good of you to come. I told you to have faith in her, Flitwick!”

Ignoring the hurtful confirmation that she wasn’t expected, Agnes caught herself staring at the hideous Christmas themed hat McGonagall was wearing. It was red… with white fluff at the base of the body. What was the purpose of that belt around it? Was it to hold the velvet in place? Maybe it was due to her solitary Christmases, but what McGonagall was wearing was the ugliest hat Agnes had ever seen.

McGonagall didn’t seem to notice Agnes’s staring as she escorted Agnes to the other professors. “Uh… hi.” Agnes feigned a smile and waved with her fingertips.

“Glad you made it!” Dumbledore’s voice boomed from the corner table. “Do have some fun. It’s Christmas!”

“Uh… Yes, Headmaster.” Agnes’s eyes were glued to the other professors’ hats in horror. They weren’t the same that McGonagall had, but they were similar. They had the same white fluff and belt with the red base color.
The biggest difference was the peculiar white pom pom. Agnes shook off her shock.
A staff member passed where Agnes stood and served drinks to Dumbledore’s table.
What I really need now is a double shot of Crown… ‘till I don’t remember…
Agnes sighed.